Which long action savage is a large shank

The only reason I have these questions is reading what Fred at SSS has to say about building the 338 Lapua on a Savage long action, from what I've read I gathered that the two things that happened was chamber area was not thick enough and lug set back. So now we have the 110 BA which has longer lugs, thicker abutments and on a large shank, just makes me ask questions before building. I'm not using that heavy of barrel but I know Geargrinder has some large barrels with good results and I have no intention of building anything that large, 28in max.
I've ran 140 Accubonds out of a WSM over 3400FPS and have monitored my lugs and have seen no ill effect but a good share of smiths seem to draw the line at the Lapua size cases due to increased bolt thrust, always interesting to find a descending opinion! You said "pressure is pressure" are you trying to say that a larger chamber will have the same bolt thrust as a smaller chamber at the same pressure?
I've seen pics of two Remington 700 bolt lugs fail with a 338 Lapua, both guys lived but got their faces slightly messed up, I'm to pretty to have that happen so I'm just trying to ask question :D

Last edited:
With a 28" .850-.900" contour with flutes, just under 6 pounds you will be fine on either action, best thing to do is has it short threaded, get rid of the barrel nut and headspace it as if it were a remington, the lugs on the standard savage mag bolt face are .125" wider and .200" longer than the 700 and it will not be so much pressure that your smashing your reciever.

I was just reading this and if anyone is still following it, maybe you can comment. I have a Savage BGH (big game hunting) 116 action. I bought it a few years ago, then a 30-06 and had it re-barreled to 6.5x55. Can I tell by looking at the action whether it is a large or small shank?

Another Q. I've heard the occasional problems with Rem 700 and Lapua's, but the best gunsmiths have been doing them or years and Remington makes Lapua's on them too. Are these failures people are talking about anamolies or caused by something unrelated to the action. Like poor gunsmithing, weak barrels, defective heat treatment of action, too much powder? It would be nice to qualify this as people throw this out generically.

Thanks

I was just reading this and if anyone is still following it, maybe you can comment. I have a Savage BGH (big game hunting) 116 action. I bought it a few years ago, then a 30-06 and had it re-barreled to 6.5x55. Can I tell by looking at the action whether it is a large or small shank?

Another Q. I've heard the occasional problems with Rem 700 and Lapua's, but the best gunsmiths have been doing them or years and Remington makes Lapua's on them too. Are these failures people are talking about anamolies or caused by something unrelated to the action. Like poor gunsmithing, weak barrels, defective heat treatment of action, too much powder? It would be nice to qualify this as people throw this out generically.

Thanks

Yours should be small shank. Large shanks were only on RUM, WSM, or Precision Target Actions. Also, a large shank sporter barrel will step down right in front of the barrel nut. If yours doesn't have this transition, it is a small shank.

Actual failures aren't common. They are coming from pushing an old design to it's maximum physical capabilities. Engineers from Savage and Remington have determined it to be safe with their factory chambered actions. I doubt either would recommend their regular actions be converted to a Lapua chambering. I believe Jerry Stiller has run a Finite Element Analysis and believes the factory actions aren't suited for pressures exerted on this sized bolt face.

The only 116 actions that were large shank were the early 2000s, like 01-03, they were 7mm and 300 ultra mag weather warrior series. Currently savage only makes one long action large shank and that is the lapua action, which will be designated 110fcp, 110ba, or 111lrh, other than that, the target actions and WSMs are it as far as large shanks, this also includes the long range precision model and long range precision varmint models because they are modified target actions.

The only 116 actions that were large shank were the early 2000s, like 01-03, they were 7mm and 300 ultra mag weather warrior series. Currently savage only makes one long action large shank and that is the lapua action, which will be designated 110fcp, 110ba, or 111lrh, other than that, the target actions and WSMs are it as far as large shanks, this also includes the long range precision model and long range precision varmint models because they are modified target actions.

There are a few other current large shank long actions that were new this last production year.

Any of the 375 Ruger chambered rifles are also long action large shank.

That's good to know, its probably the same as the 110 lapua action, so that may be a cheaper way to get a heavier duty action, I completely forgot about them chambering the 375 ruger, 116 alsakan hunter or something like that? Thanks geargrinder.

A side note, not all Rum and WSM actions were large shank. I have a 116 300 Rum that is a small shank and I have seen others. But as geargrinder has said the small shank actions are perfectly fine for rum/wsm builds.

That's good to know, its probably the same as the 110 lapua action, so that may be a cheaper way to get a heavier duty action, I completely forgot about them chambering the 375 ruger, 116 alsakan hunter or something like that? Thanks geargrinder.

Yes, Alaskan Brush and Bear Hunter in the Specialty series. Plus a couple offerings in the Package and Weather Warrior series as well.

I doubt they get the same heat treat as the Lapua actions. Especially not on the stainless actions.

A side note, not all Rum and WSM actions were large shank. I have a 116 300 Rum that is a small shank and I have seen others. But as geargrinder has said the small shank actions are perfectly fine for rum/wsm builds.

Yup, they've done some goofy things in that era. I've also run across several 300win's that were CRF.

Couple of my best shooting RUM's on small shanks were chambered by Sinarms. Thanks Devin.

I tried ( to get a WSM prefit barrel for a small shank) but had two smiths turn me down, I stopped asking.

Zombie thread revival...
How many guys have built RUM's on Savage small/large shank actions?
Thanks
I have a 28 Nosler on a 90's 110 small shank.
It started life as a 7RM. Re-barreled to 7STW w/27" Shilen, action and mag box lengthened .250" max! Shot it and ripped the souls from lots of animals and it finally died last year.
Replaced it with a prefit 26" varmint contour EABCO 28 Nosler and couldn't be more satisfied! Still doing load development and coming along great.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.