Which long action savage is a large shank

nddodd

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody here will be able to tell me which model or models of long actions were large shank. I'm wanting to find one but dont really know how to go about doing it. I know where a model 116 is in a 270 I've heard that 116 are large shank but don't know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

I'm interested in a definitive answer to your question as well. I know I've handled two long actions with large shanks and both were model 116's in 300RUM from the factory, I should have bought both but hind sight is 20/20.

I'm interested in a definitive answer to your question as well. I know I've handled two long actions with large shanks and both were model 116's in 300RUM from the factory, I should have bought both but hind sight is 20/20.

You and me both I had one about three years ago I sure wish I knew then what I know now.

Nathan

Nathan,

I answered you over on Savageshooters, but I'll comment here too.

The only long action large shanks were RUM actions. They quit making them a few years ago. They still pop up, but they are getting tougher to find.

You can always have your large shank barrel turned down to fit a small shank action.

Many think that the large shanks are better and stronger but I've built several big RUM's and WSM's on small shanks and have seen no problems.

For the extra money you save buying a small shank action, you could get your barrel turned to small shank.

Also, you could sell your barrel easier if it was small shank.

Geargrinder,

I've read where guys have had their small shank actions opened up and re-threaded to a large shank. What do you think about that, would it maybe help in building a 338 Norma or Lapua size case to put more meat into the chamber area.

Ya, two years ago I had two that I could have bought for 600 dollars for both and I got stingy and I should have snapped them up!

I wouldn't consider it at all. Most gunsmiths that know Savages real well won't do it either.

You're gaining very little by making your action weaker.

If you want to run a Lapua sized round in your Savage, I'd recommend eliminating the nut.

My Lapua bolt head showed up today. I haven't decided what it is going to be.

Crap. I just remembered that Savage is making a long action large shank action currently.

It's the 110BAS in 338 Lapua.

All Nathan would have to do is swap in a regular magnum bolt head and switch barrels.:D

If the 110 BA action was available that would solve a lot of my personal issues :D
I already decided to go nutless on the Norma, but how would opening up an action to a large shank weaken it overall, the 110 BA seems to confirm the need for more chamber strength vs action strength, or am I all wet.

I'd love to be able to just buy the 110 lapua action as well and send my 300 ultra barrel off and have it reamed to a 300jazz. But like most of the time I can want in one hand and you know what in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.....ha

I too would like to know just how opening up an action to large shank weakens the rifle?? I can understand the reasoning that the action is weaker as there is less metal.. Isn't this more than compensated for buy the extra metal in the barrel??? Hence why Savage went to the large shank on the RUMs and WSMs??

Or am I still in a haze from night shifts??LOL

The large shank is weaker, there is no need for more metal in the chamber, as I have stated befor pressure is pressure no matter what the cartridge is, thats why they have chamber vents, and a savage just happens to have 2. Having the large shank stresses the action more when you try to make it carry long heavy barrels. Oh and good luck finding a 03-06 model 116 in 7mm or 300 RUM cause thats the only large shank long action your goona find!

The large shank is weaker, there is no need for more metal in the chamber, as I have stated befor pressure is pressure no matter what the cartridge is, thats why they have chamber vents, and a savage just happens to have 2. Having the large shank stresses the action more when you try to make it carry long heavy barrels. Oh and good luck finding a 03-06 model 116 in 7mm or 300 RUM cause thats the only large shank long action your goona find!

OK, not trying to start anything but if the large shank is actually weaker why does Savage make there largest case chamberings on the large shank? From what I've read the 338 Lapua in a small shank allows to much chamber movement and sticky brass but in the large shank it seems to support the case. Then we have the lugs which I understand the new one for the 110 BA is longer but we have that covered with the new bolt head. Lug abutments can not be reinforced so that is a weak point still.
The Lapua makes me nervous but the Norma with less body taper should have a little less bolt thrust that and it is designed for the Rem 700 so that adds a little more confidence. I know the Lapua in the Rem 700 has ended badly for a couple guys so still not something to just through together on a whim!

Well for starters how many 338 lapuas and various ultra mags and other wild cats, even the 416 based big weatherbys have been put on a remington 700 action? Answer I dont know probably tens of thousands. There is .005" difference in a standard savage and a remington 700. The advantage going to the savage with slightly wider, much longer locking lugs, but they still work on the 700s. as far as chamber movement it is as I stated small or large shank people are trying to hang 30-32" barrels weighing 6.5-10lbs from these actions and they do not like that without a 2 or 3" barrel sleeve for support, neither does the remington. I am finishing up the stock on the 270 wby mag I just built off of a model 116, i'm loading 140grn accubonds at 3430fps with 74grns RE22 with no pressure signs at all, could probably go 75-76grns but do not want to lose accuracy, the load im using is probably pretty close to 70,000psi, i have yet to have an issue. Most smiths use the small shank to build on your losing a whopping .065" of metal around the chamber, by the time its threaded i dont even think by just looking at the barrel you could tell hardly and difference without a caliper or mic. You do what you want but I will stick with the standard shank, 1.055" vs 1.120" real big advantage!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts