Which Leupold scope?

rudy1

I am sure this might be a dead horse, but I am new to the site. I have a Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag and need a scope to at least 800 yards. I like the CDS system but afraid of needing more. 800 yards is along shot for where I hunt, but I need l something from 200 to 800 yards; plus something that is fast and reliable. The elk dont stay in one spot too long. I am shooting the Federal Premium 180 gr Nosler Accubond bullets. Plus I am really fond of the Leupold scopes. Your help is very appreicaited.

I just recieved one I ordered from the Leupold custom shop....VX-3 Long Range side focus, 30mm tube and 40mm objective.....6.5X20 with a TMR reticle ( for windage holds) and M1 dial for quick elevation changes.....cost just under $1k.

You might want one with a 50mm objective, otherwise it makes the perfect hunting scope. Balanced weight and versatility against a full blown tatical Mk-IV model.

4.5x14 by 50mm in the LR line or M4 line LR/T or ER/T. The TMR is a great reticle for hold over and distance estimation. This power range is more than enough to 1,000 yards.

I'm running the 6.5-20x40 w/30mm tube on my go to hunting rig, the 40mm objective allows the rifle to actually fit in my backpack scabbard & still allows a good amount of light to be transmitted during low light situations (when the critters tend to start moving again). The 50mm objective WILL transmit more light, how much I am not certain, I have yet to feel handicapped with the 40mm. The CDS system has merit as long as you always hunt in the same place at the same time. All variables have to be the same for your point of impact to be the same. Elevation, Barometric pressure, temperature etc will all effect your bullet flight, the CDS (as well as similar systems) is set for specific set of parameters you provide to Leupold. If they are set for the mountains & you head to TX for a long range hog hunt, you could very well find yourself undershooting your quarry & so on...

I was running the MK4 with the TMR & M1 dials... I just traded it off, as I just couldnt get over the dial MOA hold in MILS thing. The TMR reticle is awesome & I totally favor it in my MK4 M5-A which is setup in MIL/MIL. 4.5-14 will absolutely get you to 1k yds, however my favortism tends to lean to the higher magnification range. I'm running/have ran 8.5-25x50 MK4, 8.5-25.50 LR/T, 6.5-20x50MK4 M5-A, 5.5-22x50 NXS, 6-18x40ao VX-II, 4.5-14.50 Zeiss.

With a higher magnification you can always dial down, you can't always dial up with a lesser magnification optic. Keep in mind, a 4.5-14 MK4 will have more elevation travel than a 8.5-25 MK4 (IIRC).

Thanks for all the replies; this is a hard one. The problem I have with everything is that most of the time I don't have the time to range and dial in the scope for the target. This is just the area I hunt in. Right now I am getting "by" with a VX-II and just trying to learn how to hold it. Elevation wise. I was just thinking with time and practice with the right scope I could become accurate. I think I should save the money and try to getting something good and go from there. Thanks again.

Keep in mind your firearm weight and what you can comfortably carry up mountains and down mountains. The 3 and 4 series, especially the 50mm objective Leupy's with side focus are fairly heavy, between 20 and 26 ounces with lens caps. Something to consider.

I look at dead weight as extra granola bars........:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.