Which Leupold reticle ????

Elkwonder

OK guys, I am in the market for a couple Leupold vx 6's and was hoping someone had some experience with the leupold reticles. I was looking at the illuminated firedot duplex and the firedot 4. Problem is that since I live in BFE North Dakota, I can't see any in person. SO, I was hoping to get a little info from some of you guys that have seen them first hand. On line it looks like the firedot duplex has a smaller dot than the firedot4. If thats the case, the firedot4 may be too big for longer distances. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

I have no experience with the Firedot reticle, but truly love the TMOA. I found I never used the illuminated reticle on my Vortex PSTs.

OK guys, I am in the market for a couple Leupold vx 6's and was hoping someone had some experience with the leupold reticles. I was looking at the illuminated firedot duplex and the firedot 4. Problem is that since I live in BFE North Dakota, I can't see any in person. SO, I was hoping to get a little info from some of you guys that have seen them first hand. On line it looks like the firedot duplex has a smaller dot than the firedot4. If thats the case, the firedot4 may be too big for longer distances. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

I have 3 vx-6's.

My 2-12 has the firedot. Perfect for what I bought it for but the crosshairs are much too thick for target and long range. You can see that red dot much better than black crosshairs against a dark background early and late. didn't know they had a duplex firedot. Thinner crosshairs would be a great help.

my 4-24 and my 7-42 have the Tmoa. I really like that recticle.

.......My 2-12 has the firedot. Perfect for what I bought it for but the crosshairs are much too thick for target and long range. You can see that red dot much better than black crosshairs against a dark background early and late.

my 4-24 and my 7-42 have the Tmoa. I really like that recticle.

My 2-12x has the firedot as well. My preference for smaller, longer targets, is the TMOA.
I have TMR's in my Mark 4's, but same idea.

I've been looking at another VX-6 likely the 4-24x, it will have the TMOA. I do prefer illuminated, but I don't see that as a choice yet. It will go on a sage rat rifle, I like being able to see them centered up better than covered up.

rcoody
Is that the standard duplex with firedot in the middle or is it the number4 german with the firedot in the middle? DO you have the box for it so that you can see what it says? I was thinking the duplex with firedot would be rather perfect because I think the firedot is the same size as the center of the standard duplex. I think the firedot on the number 4 is actually bigger that the center of the duplex.

rcoody
Is that the standard duplex with firedot in the middle or is it the number4 german with the firedot in the middle? DO you have the box for it so that you can see what it says? I was thinking the duplex with firedot would be rather perfect because I think the firedot is the same size as the center of the standard duplex. I think the firedot on the number 4 is actually bigger that the center of the duplex.

sorry but l loaned that rifle to my nephew. He usually hunts with a bow but its doe killing time in Ga.

He shot one this morning with one of my Berger Hybrid Hunting loads. That bullet kicks ***!

the buck is one his hunting buddy killed a few nights ago

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2934.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2934.JPG.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 72
I shoot mils so may not apply to you.The TMR is my favorite out of many scopes I have. I like the small open center and the thickness of the cross hairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.