Which HS precision stock for .338RUM factory barrel

Killertraylor

Hello. I'm wanting to buy an HS precision stock for my Remington 700 .338 RUM with the facory 26 inch barrel. I called HS precision and they told me I need the "varmint" contour because the factory .338 barrel is too big to fit in their standard Remington 700 Sporter stock. I'm also thinking a standard Remington Sendero stock might work fine (made by HS precision). Has anyone done this to their "factory" .338RUM? I don't want to end up with something with a huge gap on each side of my barrel. I really don't like the standard black plastic tupperware stock so I'm hoping for some help!

The Sendero, Sendero II, and PSS stocks will all work if you have the Varmint contour which is the same as the Sendero contour.

Thanks, Joel. I've discovered my contour is a magnum contour, but somewhere between the standard and varmint. The varmint is a .820, which is the same as the Sendero and mine is .657. Standard is .650. So, I'm thinking it would be better to get a standard .650 and dremel it out to fit - but I'm a bit concerned about strength with the magnum cartridge. The other option would be to glass in the barrel channel on a Sendero or Varmint HS stock, but that might look goofy too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.