Which height of Harris?

craigp40

I need to buy another Harris bipod, but I'm a little torn as to what height I should get. The one I already have is the 12-25 Swivel. I like it, but it's too tall for comfortable prone shooting. So, what height do you guys find yourselves most often using for standard field work in the prone position? 6-9? or is that too low, so go with the 9-13?

Craig,

I run a br model on my LRH rifle and carry a 9-13 in my pack for shooting up hill. I also carry a rubber coated tree stand step for shooting from steep side hill or way uphill.

It probably would be too low under some conditions. I just use it off of a bench or find a good place to post up where the height is not a problem. I just find that the higher you go, the less stable it is.

It is too short for a quick shot in the field. Even a 9"-13" maybe too short for this. That is why I still carry my old trusty dowel rods tied together with some thin nylon rope for those quick shots.

Bill\'s right

The short BR model is low and stable. I shoot prone with the BR model and use my hand/fist as a rear bag. Works great. If the bi-pod is higher, the rear of the stock is to high for the best stability.

As someone else posted - it may be helpful to carry a longer bi-pod if you need to sit and shoot over vegetation. I just bought a Stoney Point Expedition. Its a tall bi-pod with a third leg that allows you to shoot standing. It looks good but I haven't tried it in the field yet. When the corn starts to grow, this may be the best solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.