Which has worked best for you?

michael30.06

I have been a hunter for as long as I care to remember and I want to improve my long shot success rate. DUH! Might be why I visit this site.
I am going to buy a ballistics computer/program. The choices I have are either the PDA Dell type system or the Ipod Touch. Do any of you have an opinion and a reason for it?
I live in North Queensland Australia so at the moment everthing is flooded or just about to be flooded. That gives me the time to do some planning for the future. My longest shots will rarely be over 450m with a max of 700m with a 30.06 on Chital deer and feral hogs. Thanks for your opnions

Last edited:
I use Exbal on my laptop and windows mobile pda.

On my Iphone I use Ballistic FTE. I think there is one called Isnipe also
I really like the HUD display of Ballistic FTE with atmo condition download.

So you use both a windows mobile device and your I phone. I do not see myself getting an I phone any time soon. I have a habit of breaking phones.
I will need to find out if the program you use on the I phone would work on my IPod.
Thanks Mick

Last edited:
I used a windows mobile phone before my company gave me an iphone

When you buy Exbal you can buy full version or a mobile version, or both. I bought both since at the time I used a windows mobile phone. I still use it sometimes because Exbal does not require service to work.

It will work if its an ipod touch but you will have to input atmo cond manually or have a wifi connection.

I use BulletFlight (the $29.99 version) on my IPod Touch. Ballistic FTE will also work with the IPod Touch but I have no experience with it. I find BulletFlight to be very accurate. I have been using G7 BCs and have not tried it with the multiple G1 BCs. I do like the optional milliradian output but wish it would display both Milrad and minutes at the same time. I highly recommend this app.

James

Dumb question time...what is G1 BC's -G7 BC's in reference to ballistic programs.

I realize this is an old thread but it popped up in a search...

to the OP ballistic FTE is well worth the $19.95 in the app store for all iPhone/iPod users, the only thing I feel it lacks is the virtual sight picture feature for estimating holdover that iSnipe has, but Ballistic FTE is powered by JBM ballistics software, and from my own personal experience it was spot on with some factory loaded Federal 168gr SMK's I recently tried out of my model 70 featherweight when I recently got a chance to go out to a 1000yd silhouette range. First I verified my zero by printing some groups at 100yds and then shooting the 8" plate at 200yds. Once I warmed up and got relaxed, off came the dust caps and out came the multitool (gotta love my 12year old Leupold VXII 3-9), I dialed up 500yds on the HUD and first shot was almost dead center on a 12" plate shooting from a lead sled and that was using the factory MV of 2650 preloaded into the app (no chrono), having no wind helped. I was still surprised given most people say the factory MV is a load of BS to sell product. I wanted see if it held true for longer ranges on the steel plate at 100yds but scope ran out of elevation 7MOA short. I tried to estimate but burned the rest of what I had with me before I got a hit, thats where the virtual sight picture feature would have helped. I then went back to 500yds and shot off a handfull of 168gr ballistic silvertips that were rolling around in my range bag with similar consistency, without changing zero from the SMK's. In the app, the two loads have almost identical trajectory going by the factory load data, again didnt have a chrono on this outing but was impressed with how accurate it held in the field, would have liked to have had a better chance at the 1000yd plate to see if this holds true at the end of the spectrum for sure.
In spite of the lack of some features, it is still a great buy. Im extremely new to this, so its the only one I've ever tried, but was so impressed, at least for the 500yd practice I was doing, didn't see a reason to spend money on the others... yet.

So you use both a windows mobile device and your I phone. I do not see myself getting an I phone any time soon. I have a habit of breaking phones.
I will need to find out if the program you use on the I phone would work on my IPod.
Thanks Mick
unrelated to the topic... sort of... but if you ever do get the iPhone, I strongly recommend the OtterBox Defender case. I road a bicycle across the country for a charity ride with my iPhone in the jersey pocket through a handful of rainstorms and couple of bids for freedom while trying to take pictures one handed while riding 20+MPH. Only let me down when I jumped into a swimming pool with the phone in pocket (end of a long ride on a hot day).

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. I have done nothing with the info I have got so far from this thread. Things have got in the way recently ie Cyclone Yasi. But a few more weeks clean up will see me back on track.
I would love to have seen your face as you hit the water and remebered the iphone in your pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.