Which has more potential?

dk17hmr

I was thinking about building another magnum rifle. With a 26-28" barrel what has more long range potential a 7mm Remington Magnum or a 338 Win Mag.

I already have a 300 WSM and dont really want to get into the Ultra Mags because of the powder consumption and recoil. This would be a rifle mainly for fun but would use it for antelope or deer hunting also. It would also give me a reason to buy the tools to change barrels on Savage/Stevens rifles.

7 RM will do everything you are looking for, and with less recoil.
I would go with a 26" barrel

I was thinking about building another magnum rifle. With a 26-28" barrel what has more long range potential a 7mm Remington Magnum or a 338 Win Mag.

I already have a 300 WSM and dont really want to get into the Ultra Mags because of the powder consumption and recoil. This would be a rifle mainly for fun but would use it for antelope or deer hunting also. It would also give me a reason to buy the tools to change barrels on Savage/Stevens rifles.

In order to best the 338 Win Mag you will have to go with something like the 338 RUM
Or the 300 RUM.

The 325 WSM will give you about the same as the 338 Win Mag but in a shorter action.

Just a few ideas.

J E CUSTOM

7mm stw would be good you can load them at rem mag velocities or close to the rum.

7 RM will do everything you are looking for, and with less recoil.
I would go with a 26" barrel

+1 with Trueblue. If bigger critters and dangerous game are in the mix, I personally would go with the 338, but of the 2 listed, the 7mag wins IMO.

Have you thought about the 338 Norma? It will match the 338 Lapua but in a shorter, fatter, and more efficient case. Match the 338 Norma with a 30" match grade barrel and the new 300 gr Bergers and you have a long range killing machine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.