which gun in a 338wm

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by bigtmiller, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bigtmiller

bigtmiller Member

Well, I have been searching around quite abit looking for what my local guys have for sale in a 338wm.

So far I have found a:

Ruger hawkey in both synthetic and wood
    Browning ABolt II
    Rem XCR
    Savage weather warrior

Which one of these would you choose?

I really want something in a laminate wood stock, but I can not find anything.

Thanks,

Tomgun)

2. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Rem XCR gets my vote. Pretty nice rifle, and most rems a shooters right out of the box.

3. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I second the XCR. Very nice gun.

4. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

Win 70 with the CRF action with 26" barrel stainless and fiber stock and the Ruger second

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

From your list, I'd go with the Savage all the way!

I have a couple of friends that their XCR's bolt broke off (.30-06s), one of them with only 3 rounds fired (pix below). Both were using factory ammo. It took them over 3 months to have it fixed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  6. kennygss

kennygss Well-Known Member

I would skip them all and buy a Winchester CRF

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. sib1948

sib1948 Active Member

Just got the new to civilians Barrett MRAD 338 Lapua Magnum. Expensive as is ammo at $3 or more dollars a round, but stunningly accurate. I guarantee that nothing on this should break. In future year years, conversion kits will become available in multiple other calibers without having to rezero scope (300 Win Magnum, 308, etc.). Very accurate at 1000 yards and more. Barrett BORS unit available for certain Leupold and Nightforce scopes that automatically adjusts for variable conditions except for windage. Will try to post pictures later after sight is mounted, but have not had much luck posting pictures on most Forums.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I'm sure it's all what you say it is, except ...

... it's not in the OP's list
    ... it's not the caliber that the OP asked
    ... and at ~$6000 (rifle only), it's more than 6 fold of the OP's li$t - some of us are not as ble$$ed :rolleyes:

Let's stay on course and help the OP. Cheers! :D

10. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Id consider a Sako Finnlight

11. sib1948

sib1948 Active Member

I' sorry for offending anyone. I'm new to this type of shooting and did not realize the inquiry was about a specific price range of rifle. I hope to learn from other's experience.

12. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

That's the spirit!

Please post your new rifle pictures at the gun photos forum (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/) for us drool on. :D

Cheers!

13. sib1948

sib1948 Active Member

Will get a picture up in the next few days. Which thread wouild it be best to post it in?

14. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

I have a .338 RUM in the original XCR. The gun is the best shooting factory rifle I have, but.... The accuracy came after sorting out a broken trigger with about 50 rounds down the tube, and other cosmetic issues. I have three remingtons and all are good, but i will never buy another due to the hoops I was run through for warranty.

Ive really been looking at the new FN made Win CRFs, They are better made than most in the same price range and they seem to shoot from the few Ive seen.

That said, you didnt ask about winchesters so I would go for the browning. Although their reciever isnt as strong from a design standpoint, they are extremly well made.