Which Eberlestock.?

x2 on the J34. Absolutely love mine.. headed out to Wyoming later today for multi day backcountry. I have no doubt in my mind it will perform awesome. The just one series is a great set up.

I also really like the J34. What most people don't like on the Eberlestock packs is that they don't have great load lifters like some of the other designs without a scabbard. Having the rifle next to your back means everything else has to be further back than it would be on other designs. Also due to the scabbard the Eberle's expand out instead of up which can make them less comfortable and stable with a big load. The fact that they make an excellent daypack once you get to your hunting spot is the biggest advantage for me. It depends on whay you are looking for and how you intend to use it I guess. I've had up to 70lbs in my J34 and it packed pretty comfortable. That said if I'm packing an elk I'd grab the pack frame for the second load. I love the lay-out to, easy to reach optics and other items fairly quick. I have 5 eberlestock packs for myself and my fiance. Our 72hr kits stay in two of them and the others get used for hunting. Anyway, here are my thoughts on the ones I have

J34 - my favorite. I really like the ability to compress the scabbard and keep it quiet, layout is great. Downside is the 7lb weight.

X3 Lo Drag - To keep the scabbard quiet I have to hook the side buckles. Unless you have a rifle large enough to need it I'd avoid the military wide scabbard. The nylon material is also much louder when hunting than the camo models. If it was made in camo with a narrow scabbard I'd love it. The uplifting compression straps are nice and it carries 35lbs real comfortable and stable.

X1A1, also had an X1E - Nice packs but I like the long separate pockets of the J34 better. I prefer the J34's layout for an extra pound and a half.

Gunrunner - This pack is nice and light, thought I would love it. It has a loud lining on the scabbard and no way to compress it. When I pull my rifle out the extra room in the scabbard allows the pack to swing side to side and make the insides of the scabbard rub together, it can be loud. My fiance likes this pack so I had the local saddle shop add a couple compression straps to silence it and she uses it now.

Mini-me. This is a slick little pack when you are going on real short trips like stalking from a vehicle and only need a minimal emergency kit and water. When you add the scabbard you can't fit much else but it is real light and comfortable. The scabbard is quiet to. If you need extra clothes or a place to stuff layers you remove this isn't the pack.

The G2 has the aluminum stays. First thing I did was bend them to fit my wacked out back..... I have a funny shape. Must have been scrunched inside my mothers womb......:) E'stock has some very good fitment video's on their website BTW.

I think the comments about suspension, lack of of the G2 gunrunner comes from not fitting it properly. It has to ride on your hips not on your back or shoulders. I have no issue with mine and I only carry the rifle in the scabbard in transit, in stalk, I'm carrying the rifle in hand or slung on my shoulder and the G2 will accomodate my land cannon 338 Savage with a 5 round magazine, harris bi-pod and a big scope, no problem, those usually it's carrying a 308.

I haven't really loaded it down yet but it's done well for the tasks I've used it for and you can really compress it against the scabbard when running light.

I would recommend getting the external raincover whichever pack you decide on. The material the packs are made from is water resistant, not water proof and the rain covers are reversible, camo one side, hunter orange on the other.

I'm very happy with mine.

This is my second post in this thread about my Eberlestock J-34 (Just One) backpack model with spike camp duffle bag. I have now had it loaded to over 60lbs of weight and it continues to ride very comfortably and brings a smile every time I throw it over my shoulders. I really like this pack for comfort because it is easy to adjust (torso length and aluminum stays to fit your body contour). Again, the rifle scabbard is the out of the way while remaining accessible when needed.

I too am looking for a more serious pack, the J34 seems like a good 1 for what I have in mind. Has anyone tried a TATONKA pack?

Not 100% certain but I believe the Eberlestock is the only pack to offer an integral rifle scabbard that's fit in front of the pack, against your back. All the other ones I looked at prior to getting the G2, had external, mounted on the pack, scabbards or you had to strap the gun on or sling carry it.

I like the integrated rifle carry feature. Thats why I bought the G2 in the first place.

The original poster said he needed something for bow hunting and rifle hunting. I think all of the packs mentioned have the scabbard built in, and can't be removed. (correct me if I'm wrong). I have an X1 and love it as a daypack. But for my more serious hunts I have the JP9 Blue Widow. It does not come with a scabbard, but one can be added at any time, and it still mounts next to your back. I use it during bow season, and love the ability to carry out a quarter with me on the first trip. It is very similar to the dragonfly but has the ability to remove the scabbard. Also I like the ability during gun season to remove the scabbard if I am hauling meat, and can either mount it on the outside, or if going back for multiple trips leave it at the truck.

Just another option.

aroshtr

The X-1 actually has a little pouch and strap for carrying a bow in addition to the rifle scabbard. It is a great day pack, and what I use for turkey hunting. I have packed a whitetail out in my(empty) X-1. It was plenty full of meat but it just fit. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a backpack camp/hunt. Just not enough capacity for all my "junk", but I suppose the minimalists could get by for a couple days.

I just got a great deal on a J-107 Dragonfly on ebay. Seems to be a versatile pack, expandable to carry in a camp and compactable for daypack mode. I wanted the 5000+ ci.in. capacity for backpack camping/hunting and the ability to pack meat without having to empty it first.

The J-34 is a little smaller than the J-107, larger than the X-1. So more capacity for day hunts or packing in a light camp.

Everything is a trade off. You just have to decide what your priorities are and decide from there. I believe them to be quality products and built like tanks. I know the Kifaru folks sometimes turn up their noses at Eberlestock and then the Mystery Ranch folks turn their noses up at Kifaru and on & on it goes. I'd like to have a Kifaru, just couldn't pull the trigger on $600+ for the amount of time I get to actually use it.

Eberlestock is a good value for the money IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.