which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

Boy, I didn't expect that!

Unless you could hunt for about a week, I couldn't afford to come that far as I live in Va. I have previously taken 1 to 2 week hunts into Pa and Ohio for hogs but now my schoolbus is not ready to go out.

I have all sizes of rifles from .17 Mach IV to the .408 Cheytac. All but the .17 are wildcats and bench guns.

What are you shooting and what ranges are available to you?
Do you have to work each day?

I have good memories of Tioga county in NY for the best hog hunting I have had.

Randy

This is the set up I use for long shots, It seems like I cant get steady enough with a bipod for the shots over 500 yards. The rest takes a little bit longer to get set up but when I am groundhoggin Im not in much of a hurry. I was able to get 3 good kills today with the 25-06AI at 433, 540 and one at 600 yards.
0527091843.jpg

To tighten your harris you can use a rim on your case. And also harris 9-13 is the way to go.

Has anyone used the stoney point tripod with the fourth leg under the butt of the rifle? wanted to get some opinions on that setup for long range shots. I seen this setup on best of the west BEYOND BELIEF

I've used the Harris 25" swivel for many years. And in the past few have also used a rear monopod(Accushot). My longest kill is 624 on a chuck between gravestones. My best shot -2wks ago, was a 510yd head shot 7mins after sunset. It was all I had because the rain has left hayfields higher than normal for this time of year.

I've stalked & killed hundreds of chucks over the years. And in my view, if your not walking with your shooting system, your not hunting. You're just 'target shooting' -at animals....

Leave the truck and go HUNTING

I have a couple of the BR swivel bi-pods with the notched legs. They seem like the cats meow, nice and steady, but I can't hit jack with them. We much prefer bags for extended ranges.

When I was young we could go out and drive through a couple logging units and shoot 25 squirrels a day. We called the activity, "digger shootin." Now we hunt for days just to shoot 2 squirrels. Now we call it, "digger huntin." I much prefer the "shootin" over the "huntin."

img1316q.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but if you are taking the trouble to use a bench, leave the bipod and continue using the sand bag. the bag you discribed is a more steady rest and you won't have to deal with the dreaded bipod hop off hard surfaces.

Now if you want a expedient, mobile, light weight rest and aren't using a bench, the bipod is the way to go.

Ok I'm shooting woodchucks in eastern NY and at the moment I use my portable bench with sand bags, the type that you can wiggle the gun down into the vee and a small bag under the butt stock.
I have never used a bi-pod and wonder if it would be as or more stable than bags. It would be nice to not need to carry the 30 lb bag if I have to setup any distance from the vehicle.

When I'm after predators where it takes shots from 250 to 500 yds. I use a by-pod that extends to 26" that way I can sit down and shoot from that position. (savage 308)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.