which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

flyin lizard

Ok I'm shooting woodchucks in eastern NY and at the moment I use my portable bench with sand bags, the type that you can wiggle the gun down into the vee and a small bag under the butt stock.
I have never used a bi-pod and wonder if it would be as or more stable than bags. It would be nice to not need to carry the 30 lb bag if I have to setup any distance from the vehicle.

I shoot off of a harris bi-pod, 9-13" with the swivel head. It is great for varmints and deer. Then all you have to carry is the small bag for the rear.

+1 on harris swivel bipod, but I also have a podloc on it and love it.

I use it for hunting and f-class. I use the br one to get as close to the ground as possible. I have a 9-13 also but I perferr the br.

Brent

Last edited:
Agreed...benchrest model is next on my list of bi-pods to acquire. Then a podlock.

+1 on harris swivel bipod, but I also have a podloc on it and love it.

I use it for hunting and f-class. I use the br one to get as close to the ground as possible. I have a 9-13 also but I perferr the br.

Brent

flyin lizard,
I like and use them both. These days I seem to be using a little rear bag under the forearm, with my left hand under the buttstock, more than anything. It seems to work good when shooting crows and "hawgs" across the hood of my truck. I've only taken them out to 252yds using this pseudo-field method, but it's pretty steady and works for me.
I like the steadiness of the Harris bipods. I've had a 9-13" model for a very long time and use it occasionally. I do see the need for one of the longer swivel models (13-25"?) so that I can employ it while sitting.
I use a shooting stick (cut 1" diameter tree) while big-game hunting also. It helps steady the crosshairs for those precision shots that are required for putting down animals quickly and humanely. I'm not as steady as I used to be and find myself looking for rest situations where I can prop up my right elbow, which for me adds another element to the equation and makes the rest rock steady. JohnnyK.

I agree with the t-nuts. Very good price and different styles to choose from. I have one of the nylon/stainless and one of the metal/stainless and like them both. The metal one is of coarse a little heavier and feels unbreakable, but both work great. As for bipods I have both the harris s br and the 9-13. I usually always shoot the br, as off a bench or prone it usually fits me better.

I have never tried a bipod but I do like using a sandbag on a table. I will put one under the rifle balancing it, then use my hand at the butt.

Like you, I didn't like carrying all that weight so I started using a cloth filled bag. I have only shot to 300 yards with it, but tomorrow I am trying 400 if the weather is nice.

I didn't like the cloth filled bag at first because there was movement, but I have been concentrating intently on doing everything correctly lately, and have been doing phenomenally with that bag.

if you want a pod lock go to T-Nuts.com: T-Nuts, T-Bolts, Knobs, Adjustable Levers, Handles
they have the best price hands down. I bought the MICRO and its got plenty of leverage for my 2 harris bipods (BR and a sitting model). Plus, the micro doesn't stick out so much.
Best deal around.

I bought many levers from T-Nuts for my Harris bipods; they work great. What do you guys use on the screw that tightens the bipod to the stud? I never seem to have a coin handy when I need one. I would rather have a hand tightenable screw in place of the original.

The harris bipod I have came with a large, knurled head screw that tightens the bipod to the swivel stud. The screw is designed to be turned by hand. The only tool you could use would be a pair of pliers - there's no slot in the head of it.

I bought many levers from T-Nuts for my Harris bipods; they work great. What do you guys use on the screw that tightens the bipod to the stud? I never seem to have a coin handy when I need one. I would rather have a hand tightenable screw in place of the original.

I usually carry keys in my pocket, if not coins. the base of a housekey works too.

Some bi-pods have a slot, others have a thumbwheel.... maybe tnuts has a knob screw that would work...

I use both the Harris bipod and carry around a rear bag that's filled with Styrofoam balls in my day pack for hunting. Keeps both hands free while hunting.
When I'm PD'en I use a 360 degree bench and a front rest and rear bag. It all depends on how portable you want to be. Can't beat either method when used for the right circumstances.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.