which D-SLR camera?

hshunter

I have looked at the D-300 and had just about made up my mind and now the D-700 has appeared on the scene. is any one using either one of these? Would like to stay with the FX lenses and do like the idea of increased telephoto on the upper end and can live with the decreased wide angle on the lower end with the DX format. My question is: is the increased cost of the FX format justified? a side by side comparison on paper is very close with the exception of the higher ISO with the D-700. HELP!!!!
Thanks
nmhunter

I, too, am intrigued with the D-700 and its higher ISO performance. But I don't know much more about it yet. Video would be cool sometimes...in the same camera and same lenses.

You will find the best info here:
Digital Photography Review

Len, I do enjoy your pictures here, Sorry we couldn't have met out in WY this yearbut health problems cancelled my trip at the last minute. Laying in a hospital bed with nothing else to do but read, I had my wife buy all of the latest photography literature she could find, after reading every one from cover to cover I decided it was time to retire my old Canon 's and go digital. Boy is this going to cost me ( nothing is cheap any more). Congratulations on your antelope, I look forward to reading about it and seeing a picture or two. Ernie is the man!! Everyone has said it was hard to keep up with him but it was great that he packed out your "lope".
as far as cameras go I will probably go with the D-300, I just found out that it can be pushed to ISO 6400 if needed. lenses I am looking at getting are the AFS 2.8 24-70, AFS 2.8 18-35, AFS 2.8 70-200,AFS 3.5,5.6 80-400,AFS 2.8 105 micro, and possibly a AFS 2.8 60 micro. Will these do? most of them have SW and VR as well. Man, along way from the old manual focus lenses I have used in the past.
nmhunter

AFS 2.8 24-70, AFS 2.8 18-35, AFS 2.8 70-200,AFS 3.5,5.6 80-400,AFS 2.8 105 micro, and possibly a AFS 2.8 60 micro.

I use the 18-200 which would replace several of those above.

I had heard of your scare and am glad you're feeling better. See you next time!!

I think you would be happy with either camera body. In terms of lenses, look at the Tamron 28-300. One lense that does it all!

Joan and I love outdoor photography. We have 2 D80 bodies and 1 D300. We will soon be upgrading by replacing one of the D80 bodies with another D300.

We use an 18-200 Nikon; 70-200 f2.8; a 70-300 Nikon; and we will soon have a 200-400 F/4 Nikon lens. the animals need the longer lenses with faster apertures so that you can control sharpness.

We sometimes use a 1.7 teleconverter on the 70-200 and we used one on a 200-400 that we borrowed. We have a 200-500 Tamron and it is ok--but focus is soft.

Jim

Forgot to mention....

if you are doing wildlife photos--the D300 would be better than the D700 because of the 1.5 crop factor--it gives you effective lens length with high resolution for better picture composition. If you are taking landscape shots, then the D700 would be the one to have.

Good shooting..........

Jim

Forgot to mention....

if you are doing wildlife photos--the D300 would be better than the D700 because of the 1.5 crop factor--it gives you effective lens length with high resolution for better picture composition. If you are taking landscape shots, then the D700 would be the one to have.

Good shooting..........

Jim

However, you can manually crop the D700's images down to match the D300's. This allows you to crop out unwanted elements in your picture and potentially improve the composition. Plus you still have the entire d700 frame if necessary. The D700 gives you more flexibility. I like having as much resolution as possible. I shoot a canon 1DS mkII and a 8x10 film camera as well.

My wife and I went with the D-300's, a couple of macro lenses, a 70-300, 80-400 and a 16-85 telephoto as a kit lense, all nikon . so far they are great.
thanks for the input
nmhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts