Which coyote calling sounds to use in Wyoming

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I am heading out to an area 40 miles SW of Newcastle, Wyoming right after Thanksgiving. My main purpose is to scout this area for a mule deer trip next year. But while there I plan to hunt coyotes for a couple of days.

I will be using a Foxpro FX3 with 30 sounds, pretty good cross section. So what types of calls would you guys suggest I try first? My 30 included calls probably include something similar to what you would suggest.

Len, are u considering hand calls at all? I use hand calls almost exclusively as a walking hunter. I don't call as much these days unless i'm taking friends out. When i was calling a lot i used mostly open reed calls from the Pee Wee Crit'R call to the Magnum Crit'R call (that one sounds like nothing i've ever heard dying, but that doesn't make a difference as long as u make it sound like something is dying or hurt). It's the worst sound i've ever heard and the coyotes love it. The big advantage to it being the volume it puts out, as well as the odd sound. The only 2 calls i carry on a lanyard are my howlers. They go with me anytime i'm hunting coyotes whether it's spot and stalk or otherwise. The howler is the ace-in-the-hole, as i've never seen a coyote that got ediucated to that call. External reeds calls are extremely versatile with the sounds they can produce, from Ki-Yi's to howls they can all do it.

I also use strictly mouth calls I like the fact I can change the pitch and sound instantly and adapt to what I am seeing how the coyote or fox is reacting.

howls and rabbit are usually the most popular.

I use the screery AP-6 it is a partially closed reed, and depending on where you bite down it will give you various pitches. I carry three around my neck due to the fact saliva will cause this call to freeze very easily. I have also had one person howl and one distress call, this has produced some good results.

I would stay away from the monotone repetitive sounds I just don't think it sounds very reallistic.

when first calling volume can be an issue, I have seen people blow close coyotes out of the area because the started out with excessive volume.

just my thoughts

good luck

Brent

Last edited:
Lightning Jack on the Foxpro always seems to work good for me.
Good volume and a sound that gets them moving in a hurry.
Never hunted Wyoming but I have been to Newcastle once......
beautiful country, it should be great calling.

Hey, guys, thanks a lot for the ideas.

I do plan to learn to use hand calls but not on this trip. After a few trips with the Foxpro I will know more about which hand calls to get.

Although after Sendero_Man showed me how he calls last September I am almost an expert already! :D And I own this really cool bridge that......

Steve, I hope to see one out there that I can spot and stalk, too. gun)

I have been having some good luck here in the Wydaho border lands with howling, challenge howling, pup, snowshoe hare, cottontail, woodpecker and fawn distress sounds. (YMMV) Have to be some of those in the Foxpro?

Len,

Where exactly are you headed? I hunt the Bruce Ranch every year that is right in that area. I turn off of route 450 at mile marker 25. Maybe we can meet up during the season next year.

Brian

Len, I mostly use mouth calls such as the TallyHo, Red Desert Howler, Thumper, Tweety, and some Sceery calls. It seems the cottontail in distress works best for me in this area. I have better luck with my electronic caller at night. Good luck and have fun.

Len, I'll second Jack rabbit and cottontail. Many calls will work try them all.

I deer and lope hunted the area north west of New Castle. The night I shot my deer I was waiting in the dark for my friends to pick me up, only about 1/2 a moon was showing. About five coyotes lit up within a half a mile. I had the fox-pro in my pack and set it out by a post for reference and backed up 30 yards. Turned it on the Jack and all those yotes went quiet. I think the first one was on me in about 90 seconds. Things went downhill from there...

Matt Salm and I are putting together a stategic plan for the Len Backus Driftless Area Winter Coyote Tour. Scoped out some new land in Crawford County today and killed two. Saving the smart ones for you.

Were shooting for Jan or Feb, depending on the weather. we are also thinking about a full moon hunt, so we can hunt through the night.

How much notice will you need Len?

ok then, thats easy. You have fun in Wyoming, I'm sure your going to have a great hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.