Which countries are our members living in?

LB
Wow,it is a subject that really gets me on my soapbox.In the last 16 years we have lost all centrefire semi-auto rifles and all handguns(except muzzle loaders).Owning a gun is a logistical nightmare.I will put a small piece together to explain the legal hoops we are forced to jump through in order to shoot.
Remember,we are subjects not citizens.

Also from the over regulated U.K
smile.gif

7 years ago we lost ALL our centrefire semi-autos; nvirtually all of our rimfire and shotgun semi-autos except on special licences. This year all pistols over 10 rounds were banned; all over .38 cal except for Metallic silo and Cowboy action but you must compete 6 times per year for each discipline at recognised competitions to maintain your licence. All firearms owners have to be licenced with a plastic photo ID card. This currently has a 5 year term costing $75. *NB*In 1990 here in Qld we were issued our first individual Firearms Licences which were "Lifetime Licences"!Ever since we have been losing ground. Every firearm has to be licenced and an individual application for each firearm must be made to the respective state police.
The cost for each new firearm application[permit to accquire] has just been raised to $60 I believe in NSW for example.
Should you have too many? or duplicate calibres you will be queried as to why you require this firearm. We have to have a genuine reason to own a firearm which is really covered under 3 categories - club use; recreational[hunting]or feral animal control[job related] by property owners or employees. All of these have to substantiated by written advice IE if recreational then one is required to provide a letter from the property owner with his permission to shoot over his land along with the area and real property description. WA is probably the toughest in this regard in that the police there followup such letters with personal interviews of the property owner to establish if there really is a genuine feral animal problem!
The long term trend has been that the Government [no matter what political party] wants to remove all firearms from private ownership!What we have lost in a relatively short period of time is unbelievable. I did not expect these draconian measures to occur in my lifetime and I figure I have another 20 years shooting left in me minimum. Much shorter timelines to those mentioned for GB. 15 years ago it was legal here to own a centerfire semi-auto with 30 round mags without it being licenced or the shooter being licenced.The penalties for owning such firearms now are harsher than those for drug dealers.
I managed to keep a "C" class licence[semi auto shotgun] for both animal control and sporting use - 2 separate sub categories on my licence. To travel overseas with my semi 12 ga I need our Attorney Generals personal signature on 2 different forms. This requires about 8 weeks minimum to achieve with reams of info to be submitted. There is so much hassle to this [did it twice- I think I was the first in the country and the second time the regulations were changed just prior to my departure - could have changed whilst I was away and then "Oh sorry but you cannot reimport your own gun!] that it was easier to purchase another shotgun and leave it in NZ for my annual trip there.

[ 08-18-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

[ 08-19-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

Thanks for the grim update, apb. Incredible. Would you mind if I cut & pasted your post to my Board? We need to wake up, in America. LB

LB
I can't see any problem with that - this is all true and public info if one knows what questions to ask and where to look!
What board are you referring to?
APB

APB ,
Welcome to the land of the politically correct . If somebody else's pastime is different to your own - have it made illegal .
confused.gif

Well I am in Iowa now, but I will be spending a couple of years living in Chongqing, China. Guess I won't be able to touch a gun till I am back in the states.
mad.gif