Which Caliber for deer? .224 - .264

.243, 6mmRem, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, & 7mm-08 are fine youth cartridges. If you're looking for an inexpensive but handy sporter, don't overlook a 6.5x55 Swede.

If you'd consider a wildcat, a few ingrates I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif wildcatted the 6.8SPC down to .264 with some improvements. It's a machine so far on deer, hogs, & 'yotes. 120gr NBTs are running @ 2,700-2,800 & 85gr HPs are going over 3,100. Very light recoil & muzzle blast too.

Plenty of choices really. It's more a matter of personal preference vs. performance vs. factory ammo availability.

You just can't replace marksmanship or bullets designed to do the job, one complements the other really well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would go with the .260 Rem. Good for deer and varmints. Great bullet selection. Good range and accuracy, with out all the powder and blast. If I didn't have a 25-06, I would think real hard about .260

Hey Spino,

You will hear a lot of tlak about the 243 and deer running off. I can say I had a few head for unforseen pastures in my youth. However, we also found that it was the bullet as others had mentioned that was the culprit. I started loading my own rounds for it with help from my pop when I was around 10, and shortly afterwords only had one or two run more than about 20 - 30 yds before piling up.

Originally I used the 85gr Nosler Solid base, but when they came out with the 95gr BT' that is the one I went to. I have taken several deer, and loaded for several other folks who's kids used the loads to take some really nice deer as well. None had any problem with magic disappearing acts. The key with this or really any caliber, is shot placement. There is no substitute for practice, and if the youth doesn't feel comfortabel about the shot or shooting then don't force them. Make it simple and easy for them as well as respecting that they can't handle 20 rounds in one secessin like grown ups. Just a few then plink with the 22 or vice versa. The practice putting the shot where it needs to be is the key.

As for the kid's buck, never had it scored. We're just not into that sort of thing. If they look good and mature then thats all that matters to us. She has let deer walk that I know grown men would have shot in heart beat. Yes we definately got it mounted and it makes a great addition to the other one she got a couple of years before, two weeks before delivering my grandson.
58268618pVnGio_ph.jpg

The two of them are the best deer we have taken from our family place in nearly 30 years, and she worked hard for them both. I am hoping that the grandson will get his chance this year with a litle help from Pawpaw, and his little 243.

remingtonman_25_06,

Thanks for the feedback. So you would go with the .260 for let's say an 8yr old? This caliber is one of my choices, but I have really started thinking about the whole recoil thing. I have never shot the .260 so I'm not sure about the recoil.

Mike / TX,

I haven't had any luck shooting the BT out of my .270WSM. I bullets may be traveling a little fast & causing blow up without penetration. Some of the deer that have been shot @ have been under a 100yds. I know the bullet is leaving the muzzle @ 3290. Last year I loaned the gun to a hunting buddy & he shot @ two deer and I guess he was aiming @ the shoulder. We walked over to where he shot the deer and there was bone & meat on the ground, but very little blood (I hate it when this happens) we didn't have a blood trail to follow just a general direction in which the deer went. We didn't recover the deer. A shot to the ribs was different though. These deer were recovered.

If I could ask what is your reload recipe for the .243? How fast are your bullets traveling? What model gun are you using? Thanks for the help Mike Or whomever wants to chime in with any info.....

[ QUOTE ]
remingtonman_25_06,

Thanks for the feedback. So you would go with the .260 for let's say an 8yr old? This caliber is one of my choices, but I have really started thinking about the whole recoil thing. I have never shot the .260 so I'm not sure about the recoil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Spino i would not use factory loads in a 243 or 260 with an 8 year old the bigest issue you will have is getting a rifle that an 8 year old can handle and that fits them correctly. That is why i sujest a Model 7 Synthetic and fit a muzzle break. If you do that then load up some light loads with H4895 you can go down to 60% of a maximum load from the Hodgdon loading manual and use light projectiles for practice. The recoil will be very close between the two of them if loaded to the same pressure and the same weight projectile the 260 will be just a bit more versatile in the later years if larget game is to be considered. I am conducting tests on a Rem 700 LTR in 6.8 SPC and i would call it a perfect rifle for the purposes that are described you can get 90gr Varmint projectiles over 3000fps and 130gr Projectiles to 2650 FPS in a bolt gun. The 115gr Rem Factory Cor Loct are loaded at a low pressure and have very little recoil and now Hornady has some with 110gr V MAx's in them it would be an awsome starters rifle and calibre i would not discount it at all. A .277 130gr projectile at 2650 duplicates the wildcat 303-270 with the 303 British necked to .277 and that combination has shot a lot of large deer here in Australia and even Canada over the years. I would stick to the 90 to 115gr range as the Cor Loct is perfect for the use you require.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Use as powerful a load as you can. The thing is that if the kill does not go well and the animal flops all over the hill the kid will get sick of it.

Any adult should be able to shoot a 260 or 7mm-08 or even a 308. Get one of those and download the practice ammo for now. We owe it to the game to put it down asap and not fool around.

The first thing to do is to put a Decelerator pad on it. Those make a huge difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.