Which cal?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by skip AI, Aug 30, 2005.

1. skip AI

skip AI Well-Known Member

Im after a deer rifle that has a large amount of hitting power but at the same time a flat trajectory, Ive got my eyes on a tikka lite stainless in .338WM or a Browning stalker in .325WSM, what do you reccomend I purchase?
    Any other options?

TIA

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

Skip AI, By deer you must mean moose & elk whom are members of the deer family. You are over gunned for regular deer. Drop back to the 300WSM (still on the heavy hitter end)which will give you more versatility. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

What range?

normally for just deer....270, 3006, 300wm, 300WSM

4. skip AI

Distance= 50m-150m
    Ive used .270 and .30-06 and just dont like the feel of them, would prefer .30 and up, I will probably use the rifle for some long range shooting say 300m+ in the future, I also like a bit of wind bucking ability.

Thanks

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. huntem

huntem Well-Known Member

Skip,

I currently own a .338 and have shot a .325WSM and believe me when I share with you that you will definitely know when the gun has gone off. The recoil, while very manageable, is something to consider for plain shooting enjoyment. Another caliber to consider besides the 300 wsm is the ol' reliable .300 win mag. The win mag has many options in factory ammo and if you are a handloader, you have far more options for bullet selection when compared to the .338 and particularly the .325.

Good luck

6. skip AI

Recoil is no issue, I have fired atleast 60rnds through a mates .338WM and find the recoil managable except when in the prone position (ouch!), is the .325WSM much different recoil wise?

Thanks

7. huntem

huntem Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are too many variables that prevent a true apples to apples comparison (Stock drop, materials, powder charge and bullet weight). However, if every things was similar or the same, the .325 may a bit less recoil than the .338.

I had the opportunity to shoot a 6lb Kimber Montana chambered in the .325. OUCH.

8. wapiti13

Why are leaning so hard to the big bore caliber for deer & the ranges you state? I think that for whatever reasons, you've already made up your mind. Any of the 30 cals would suite your purpose better, and even if you don't mind recoil, why ride the big recoil curve with slower recovery time between shots?

9. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

THough i do not own one and have not shot one. My buddy and his Dad both use that 7mm stw and they swear by it take a look at it. Its not as commin of a caliber but they use it for everything. Deer to Beer.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I guess I am confused why you need a large amount of hitting power for deer? They arn't that hard to kill and the calibers you listed just punish yourself when ya shoot them.
    For what you are doing and the farthest you intend to shoot ( 300m) A, 308, 7mm-08, 260 Rem, 243, 30-06, 270, 257roberts etc...) is plenty of power and a hellova lot more fun to shoot....

Just my .02

11. skip AI

May I add that the minimum calibre for shooting my intended game (Sambar Deer), is a projectile Diameter of .270, Im actually thinking of .300WSM now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif dam I hate but love buying new rifles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.
    Personally I refuse to buy a .30-06 I dont like the feel of them.

Thanks

12. wapiti13

skip AI, you are leaning in the right direction. Still more recoil than you need and lots of power, unless you really are going after Alaskan grizz & brown bears. Very versatile, one can always down load or use a muzzle break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Guest

Guest Guest

The "feel" of a 30-06... what?

14. skip AI

The feel.......yeah not the best way to explain it, how about I dont like them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Going into the city tommorow to check out what my choices are will inform you on what I choose.

Thanks