Which bushings for .25-06?

blacktails

First time reloader, and I have some questions about how to choose the correct bushing sizes for use in a Redding Type S FL die for my .25-06 hunting rifle. First, I have new Winchester brass and will be using Speer 120g Grand Slam bullets, and as part of the initial brass prep, I will be turning the necks for consistency, and will be aiming for a .015 thickness, as recommended in Doug Arnold's excellent book on achieving accuracy.

Based on this, in order to know what size bushing to order, do I just add the total neck thickness (.030) to the caliber diameter (.257) for a total of .287, and then subtract the amount of neck tension that I need, such as .001, .002, .003, etc., from the .287 total? If doing it this way is not correct, or maybe not accurate enough, then how should I do it?

Also, is it recommended to buy more than one size of bushing?
Is there any advantage to buying the Titanium Nitride bushings versus the steel bushings?

Finally, and you probably knew this was coming, which bushing size or sizes would you recommend that I buy?

Sounds like you got it.:)
But what I do is measure a loaded round after neck turning to decide what neck bushing to order. Depending on the round I will order neck bushings from .001 to .003" smaller than the loaded round dia.
It seems anytime I only order one bushing it turns out that I am not happy with the neck tension.
I use only coated bushings, either RCBS or Redding.
James

For my 2506 A.I. I'm running a .282 bushing for no neck turn Norma brass. I measured one of my loaded rounds at .284. Then subrtracted .002, I also have a tighter bushing but have never used it. I can't comment on the coated bushings yet, my next set of dies I will try them.

Flybuster,

where are you finding your .25-06 Norma brass, or are you necking down some other caliber, such as 30-06? I would have gone with Norma or Lapua if I could have found it in 25-06.

Hello Blacktails, I think I ordered my .270 Win. Brass from Sinclairs. I just necked down .270 Win brass and trimmed to 25-06 length. I haven't got around to try Lapua 30-06 brass yet, but I found the best prices at Bruno's shooting supply.

Last edited:
I figured you had done something like that. I'll give these WW cases a try, and if the neck turning is too much of a hassle, maybe I'll do the same. By the way, I'm assuming the .270 cases you used are head-stamped as .270, or are they? If they are, do you somehow change the marking so that they can't be confused as .270 shells?

.By the way, I'm assuming the .270 cases you used are head-stamped as .270, or are they? If they are, do you somehow change the marking so that they can't be confused as .270 shells?

Yes, my cases are still headstamped as 270. If you have a 270 also, you might try Norma's .280 brass, if you don't have a .280. I really dont see myself having this as a problem, because I sort my cases in their own specifically marked ammo boxes. I'm not usually looking at headstamps anyways.

I always confuse the heck out of people when I show them one of my 25-06 Ackley cases.

For my 2506 A.I. I'm running a .282 bushing for no neck turn Norma brass. I measured one of my loaded rounds at .284. Then subrtracted .002, I also have a tighter bushing but have never used it. I can't comment on the coated bushings yet, my next set of dies I will try them.

I just ordered a 25/06 AI . I am also ordering a bushing die for it. Now the question I've got is, how do I load a round to measure before I order the bushing? I must be missing something here. I've been reloading for about 35 years, but the bushing die is kinda new to me. Do I need a regular sizing die first then a bushing die later???
I need help:confused:

......Now the question I've got is, how do I load a round to measure before I order the bushing? I must be missing something here. I need help:confused:

This is still confusing to me also, since my sizing die is a FL bushing die. Anyone have the easy answer? In my case, I do have an expander die with a .25-06 mandrel that I bought with my K&M Neck Turner. Would I just run the new case thru the expander, then minmum turn the neck for consistent thickness, and then seat the bullet (after a chamfer & debur) so that I can then take my measurement?

I already had a 25-06 before, so I just loaded up with the brass of my choice with my existing 25-06 Rem dies. Then subtracted .002 from the diameter of my loaded round (.284) for my bushing.

You might just wanna pick up a 25-06 Fl die to make your fireforming loads.

Last edited:
I don't know how consistant your fireforming loads would be if you neck sized them. With new brass I like to FL size to make them uniform as possible. Then hopefully they will fireform the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts