Which Bushing for the Type S Dies?

Moman

Hey guys, I am ordering the Redding Type S Match Full Length Competition die set and can't remember which bushings to order or how to size for this. I remember reading something about buying three different sizes, one larger and one smaller or something like that. Can someone let me know which to order for the 300 Win Mag.

It will depend on the brass neck thickness on which bushings you choose, also how much neck tension you want and which bullet you choose. If you already have a 300 win mag die and your brass make a dummy round with your bullet of choice, then subtract .002 from your neck diameter for a bushing size, then one .003 for more tension.

I ordered a bushing for mine that was .0001" less than the neck diameter with a seated bullet.I am going to get another one that is .0001" bigger,because the expander ball still drags more than I like.It seems to be more of a trial and error thing at first.

You don't want too light of neck tension on hunting ammo, subject to abuse. I have been using a bushing .002" smaller on my main hunting rifle. You also have to account for brass springback.

For example on my .300 Win. Mag. My neck measures, .333" with a loaded bullet. I would just subtract, .002" . I would try a .331 and see how that works. Your brass may be different, make a dummy round with your brass and your bullet.

I am going to get another one that is .0001" bigger,because the expander ball still drags more than I like..

If the bushing die is used to set the exact dia. of the neck, why would you use the expander button. Wouldn't dragging the EB through the neck negate to entire concept of the bushing die?

Bushings

Since I am a molly bullet shooter, the molly requires more tension; therefore, we use a bushing 0.003" smaller than total neck od. As to carbide expander buttons, please note this: if you are neck turning, NO expander ball! If you are not neck turning, use your carbide ball but verify your neck runout and thckness. Overbore
ps over time the brass will loose about 0.001" worth of tension as the brass will relax.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts