Which brake for the 5R milspec 308??

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 5280yotes, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 5280yotes

5280yotes Well-Known Member

I have a muscle brake on my 300RUM sendero and its great, but finding a smith that would install it before 2014 is almost non existant.. I kinda want one that I could just the barrel threaded and one screwed on. The CSR looks nice, just kinda wanted to hear some thoughts. Thanks

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Try shooting it as is. You will find the recoil very manageable even without a brake.

I really like the Shrewd Varmint Brake I have on my .260 AR though. It's nice to be able to see your impacts even at 100yds.

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Like Rose said, even with heavy hot loads the recoil is nothing compared to any magnum cartridge. Try shooting it as-is. Only 1 of my guns has a brake on it, and that's b/c it left the factory as an A-Bolt II with a BOSS system on it.

4. 5280yotes

5280yotes Well-Known Member

Its not too bad just wanted to tame her down while shooting the heavys.. Plus the recoil pad i think is just there for looks :D.

5. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

I shoot a .308 with no brake and there are times I can spot my own trace.

square up, load the bipod, pull the trigger.

If the gun hops up or to the side your doing it wrong gun)

I shoot off my rifle bag, it folds out.. I made a para cord do thingy, that i can hook on my bipod legs so I can load the bipod even on concrete. Works good, Let me know if you want more info

6. smallbutfierce

smallbutfierce Well-Known Member

Clayne B,

Can you post up some more info? I am having the issue of loading for more than one shot when shooting off my mat. In the field its easy, only need one shot, but when practicing I find it hard to stay tight for the group.

Thanks