Which Bottom Metal - Custom Build

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 300magman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. 300magman

300magman Well-Known Member

I am putting together a custom build using a Defiance long action and a Manner's stock. The rifle will be a switch barrel (with a bolt swap). One cartridge is the 22-250 AI and the other is the 30 Nawakwa (which is an improved version of the 300 Norma Mag)

I need to keep weight down on this rifle and feed both cartridges, can anyone recommend a company to talk to about bottom metal? I really don't know much about bottom metal (other than its basic function), who are some of the big name suppliers?

2. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

What TYPE of bottom metal do you intend to use? Are we talking hinged floor plate or Magazine fed? Sunny Hill & Wyatt's make great "BDL" style bottom metal, while companies like Hooper Ord., CDI, Badger & H-S Precision offer great DBM styles.

Throw out some more info & I'm sure we can get some more input.

3. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I realy like the Seekins detachble box magazine system

4. Outlaw6.0

+1 Crap! How could I have forgotten about Seekins! lol I'm using the H-S system on my 6-284, limited mag cap at only 3 rnds but it's flush fit. I'm using the McRee chassis system on my 338 RUM which uses AI mags. Both fit their purposed very well.

5. 300magman

300magman Well-Known Member

A hinged floor plate would probably be the lightest and by far the cheapest option...and I also like the smooth fit to the bottom of the rifle.
    But DMs are just so convenient. And I'm also guessing that I will need two different mags to feed the two different cartridges that I intend to use (because one is so much fatter than the other) . . . I don't think I would be able to accomplish this with a hinged floor plate, unless I'm mistaken.
    So I guess that leaves me looking for a DM system.

6. Outlaw6.0

Take a look at the H-S system then, flush fitting with the option of DBM, it sounds like it's fits your needs pretty well. I know for a fact that they will accomodate both my 6-284 & my 338 RUM, as far as feeding I dont' know but the mag will accept both.