Which 7MM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Freebore, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

I plan on having a new rig built in a 7mm. Which of the many 7's available would you feel would make the best choice. The rifle would be in the 8.5# class (10# total) manly used for shots within 1200 yards but capable of taking elk at that range. This would also be built using a custom action. Looking for your input and why your choice of that cartridge. Thanks for your input!
    ps (I already have a big 30 cal)

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Oh boy, you know how opinions are. We've all got one, or more, but.........given the criteria you stated: Elk, 1200 yards and 10#, I'd go with a lightweight 7mm Allen Magnum although if I was going to be shooting at game at 1200 yards I'd want a little more weight by at least a couple of pounds.;) Sure is a lot more stable for those loooong shots.

My 7mm Am has just under 2200 fps. and just under 2100 ft. lbs. of energy at 1200 yards and given the right conditions I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk at that range.;);)

3. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Dick (SS7mm) what are the specs on your rifle again? You can PM if you'd like so we don't hijack this thread. I've always liked the looks of your rig.

By the way I'm looking to build a long range 7 and I'm definately doing the 7mm Allen Mag. Kirby has been such a resource to many here not to mention all of my correspondence with him has been professional and helpful not to mention he doesn't come off as a pompous azz, and some smiths do. Good luck on your build

4. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Boman - PM sent;)

5. 308 nate

308 nate Well-Known Member

freebore,
    I know it's not an Allanmag, but I would recommend a 7mm-300wsm set up for 180 Bergers.
    reasons.....
    #1~ cases available: Norma 270, Norma300, or the same in Winchester.
    #2~ in a 28" barrel 3000FPS. is very do-able with 180's and 3100 is very easily achieved with 168's
    #3~ this chambering feeds excellent out of the Kwik Klip from Cabelas set up as a long action.
    #4~ burning only 65 grs. of powder allows me to do a lot more practice shooting, a little longer barrel life, managable recoil (especially with a brake), extreme accuracy, with good loads very capable of sub 2" groups at 600 yds., this may be argued, but I feel there is enough energy at 1200yds. for elk. Shot placement is important but it is equally important for the ultra mags.

My second recommendation would be the 7mmWSM, basically same as above, only winchester cases available. No necking up or down and in a pinch factory ammo, for close range is an option.

Just my .2

308Nate

6. linksmechanic

linksmechanic Well-Known Member

I'd go with 308 nate or a stw or why not a ultramag. The 180 bergers are the only way to fly.

7. Freebore

308 Nate,
    I never gave the Short Mag a thought. What you presented seems to make alot of sense. What/whose reamer did you use and what about dies? Thanks for the input!

8. Freebore

linksmechanic,
    The STW is on the list for sure, I don't think that you need the powder capacity of the Ultra case though for the max range I'd be shooting. I have spoken to Kirby about the 7AM if I was going to go that case though. I'm still looking and thanks fro your thoughts.

9. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I have nothing but good luck with the big 7mm wildcats from the Rem Mag up to the AM. All work very well. Most critical is bullet selection and matching the bullet to the game being hunted.

That said, if someone came to me telling me they wanted me to build them a rifle for elk hunting out to 1200 yards, I would look them right in the eye and tell them to go with a big 338 magnum. There are many to choose from but the fact is, for this specific big game animal, especially mature bull elk at ranges over 1000 yards, if your intentionally building a rifle for this purpose, you would be much better served with a heavier, larger frontal area bullet for these big tough animals.

Again, I am not saying the big 7mms will not work, hardly the case but again, personally, if I were setting a rifle up to take elk at ranges out to 1200 yards, I would choose 1 of 4 338 chamberings, 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua or 338 AX. The choice would come down to what receiver would be used.

Recoil would not be much of an option because of muzzle brakes but for shear game taking ability, I would have to recommend a 338 over the 7mm.

Had you said deer or similiar size game, I could recommend nothing better then the big 7mms but for elk at these ranges, Its wise to step up in caliber.

Again, not saying in any way that the big 7mms will not cleanly and efficently harvest elk at these ranges, that is not the case, I just personally feel there is a better caliber for this specific purpose.

Kirby Allen(50)

10. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I recently made this decision. Initially I was going to use the 7wsm. After looking at the characteristics of this and several other rounds, I settled on the 7mm Dakota. It'll be set up for the 200 grain wildcats. I figure muzzle velocity should run 2900-3000. Couple this with the wildcats BC of .88 or so and you've got some impressive drop and drift numbers. It also carries the energy waaay out there.

Just gotta be patient now, and wait for the gun to show up......Good luck.

11. Freebore

Kirby,
    I guess I could have been more descriptive on what ot actually use the rifle for. I have a big 30 I use exclusively for elk launching 200SMK's at 3200.
    This rifle I plan on having built is to be used for deer mainly, but I want to have the capability of taking an elk with it at 1000yrds. Most of my shots I try and get to within 600 and I don't specifically setup for longrange shooting or I would have a bigger/heavier rifle made.
    That said there is something very impressive of shooting 300SMK's to 2000yrds! Like an 338 Edge can. I don't have a 33 caliber rifle. Not alot of use here in the Pa woods where I hunt. I do hunt Wyoming for deer/elk/antelope/turkey/Pdog's. There is one field I just can't get on less than 900yrds in the am when the mulie bucks are pushin' the doe's off the alphalfa. They always go onto the other ranch after fisrt light.
    The 257 Wthrby is pretty much max'd at that range w/115's. That is why I'm looking for a 7mm that can reach out w/162AMax and 180 bergers. I could use my 30 but I was looking to build a 7mm although you got my interest going on that 338 Edge.
    Thanks for you point of view and input, it is always welcome here.

12. Freebore

Grit,
    I'm not too familiar w/the 7 Dakota. What is the parent case? What is the OAL w/175SMK? What action do you have this on?
    Thanks for the reply!

13. linksmechanic

linksmechanic Well-Known Member

You will be able to take out to 1000 yards with proper shot placement and you can shoot to a 1000 yards. I personally won't shoot an animal with a gun that doesn't shoot under .25 moa. I know that's alot to ask for in a gun but when you are out to a 1000 it makes a HUGE difference on shot placement especially with all the other variables.

14. Freebore

Linksmechanic,
    I agree with you 100% on the .25 moa being very important to make the shots 'out there' ethicaly.
    What is the 7 Dakota case developed from??