Which 7?

Partagas

I have been thinking about a 7mm of some sort. The RUM is more than I want, I don't like brakes, and from what I have read it is ineffecient for not a whole lot more fps. The STW sounds good but I have also read that it is over-rated and not that much better when compared to the classic 7 mag. Now I have heard the 280 ackley is pretty close to the 7 mag. I have a 700 adl with the standard bolt face that I have thought about rebarreling, from what I have listed here I am thinking about the 280AI so I don't have to open the bolt face. Does the 280AI really compare that well to the 7 mag and STW? How would I be limited by the 280 AI? I am thinking of more of a longer range hunting rig not a tactical stocked super heavy bench gun or target gun.
Thanks

My experience with the 7mm rem Mag and 7 mm STW work out like this.

7mm STW 150 gr @ 3450 fps w/ 26" barrel

7mm Rem Mag 150 gr @ 3300 fps W/ 26" barrel

The AI rounds based on the 06 case do not have as much capacity as the 2.5" belted mag cases so they will not provide as much velocity.

The real question is how much do you need?

I suspect you could get a 150 gr to 3100 fps in the AI case. Would work to 600 yds on deer and elk if you hit it right. (always have to hit it right). If you want to shoot game further I would opt for more case than the AI round.

Good luck

You dont need hyper velocities to kill game at extended ranges. I do admit you need sufficient velocity though. IMHO, the 280 AI has enough to be a efficient LR hunter. I think that particular round is much more accurate than the other 2 and MUCH easier on barrels. A nice bonus, as you mentioned, you would not have to re-cut the bolt!

Pick the one you can shoot accurately. The 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm short mags have plenty of power for western big game at any reasonable range. I have killed elk at long ranges with one shot from a 130 gr 270 partition. Never lacked killing power.

Shot placement with a good bullet is everything.

I've heard pros and cons on the 280AI every since it came out. I've got the old 7mm express and will be needing a brrel before long. My first choice is a 284 set up for the 150/160 gr bullets or go back with the 280. Years ago I had a 7x57AI done and with the lighter bullets I got almost the same velocity as my 7mag and when shooting the 150/160 gr bullet was within 100fps. Used 10gr of powder less. For me I just don't want to take a chance on the 280AI. I've got afew AI in other calibers and most gain between 100/150fps more and I like that in a varmit round i can fire form while using it for varmit shooting. I'm thinking the 284 case in a long action will give that case alittle more capacity and may get better velocity that a 280. Just my .02 worth!

Partagas, I have a 280AI and I'm getting 3250fps out of a 26" tube with a 140GR. BT. The accuracy is .5 MOA. That's real close to the 7 mag. with probably 30% less recoil.
grin.gif

[ 06-12-2004: Message edited by: Magmaniac ]

Have a 7mm RUM in a Savage-nice shooter but you do have to reload for it as there is a grand total of 2 differant shells available for it.

Here are my experiences with a 7mm mag and a 7mm STW. 140 ballistic tip out of 7mm Mag 3175 fps with a 26 inch barrel out of the STW 3426 with a 26 inch barrel. A 150 Ballistic tip out of the 7mm Mag 3050 fps out of the STW 3336 fps. A 160 Partiton out of the 7mm Mag 2992 fps out of the STW 3236 fps Do you see a trend there? about 200 fps more then the 7mm mag. I think the 7mm STW is the best 7 for long range hunting.

[ 06-18-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

well when comparing my 7mm rum to my 7mm wsm to my 7mm weatherby and to the 7mm rem mag( if you can't tell I love guns, lol) I reload for each I can honestly say that the 7mm rum performs best of all-( comparing speed,trajectory, & wind drift) as far as grouping there is no clear advantage they all perform great out to 700meters( that is the farthest distance my range goes too otherwise I'd try farther!) as far a kick maybe I shoot to much or use my other bigger guns to much but the 7mm rum isn't as bad as some people say but each to their own. I will say if my 5'4 inch, 115lb wife uses it with out complaining,,,,,,,, buck up boys!!!!lol
smile.gif

I just thought I'd put my 2 pennies on this. I am long time fan of the plain old 7mm RM. I have a very well built 7mmRM w/a 28" douglas xx stainless barrel. I am gettin 3150fps w/ a 162 a-max. Also im getting honest .2-.3 5 shot groups with moderate recoil. I am doing great at 800yds with it.
I dont have any experience with a 7mmRUM. My riflesmith tried to talk me into this round. I declined when he said about 800-1000 rounds per barrel. Depending on how hard i pushed 'em. My personal opinion is they are only all as good as the rifle they are in and the guy pullin the trigger.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.