Which 6mm?

sewwhat89

What 6mm round would you suggest me building as my first custom rifle? I am limited to 500m at my rifle range, but can foresee ranges up to 800 and maybe 1k at my deer lease off a bipod or portable shooting table. I do not want to start off with lots of brass work and complicated fire-forming. Standard AI rounds are considerable, but rounds like a 6 Dasher are not what I am looking for initially. My plan is primarily to use the rifle to get used to shooting at LR and possibly compete at a point in the future. I want to set the rifle up to shoot 88 - 105 gr Bergers, 95 - 108 gr BIBs, 105 AMAX, 90 and 105 gr Scenars, 107 SMKs, etc . . . For the larger cases, I would also be playing with the 115 DTACs and some of Richard's Wildcat bullets. There is a possibility the rifle will see some hunting, but that is not a factor in what case is chosen. So, what say you? You have two choices. If you don't like what you see, tell me what you would like. Thanks!

Dont forget about the 6mm-250,

very little brass work, capacity is higher than the 6br and I think with the 105gr beregers it will give you supersonic preformance out to right at 1500yds

If BJ's shoots worth a **** I will have to get me one in a couple of years

With around 35grs of powder and a 28" bbl I would find this combo hard to beat for a muzzel to 1k pdog gun.

good luck
steve

After talking with Randy Robinett (Bib bullets) I am going with his 108 FB and a 9 twist barrel. The 108 needs the 9 twist and his 95 can also shoot in the 9 very well.

I am also going with the 6br-DX which is the ack imp br case with a long neck. It was the gun of the week last week or week before on www.6mmbr.com.

The Bibs have a pressure ring and require the ring to be in the neck which results in a longer throat.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.