Which 6mm/243 for new build?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by aroshtr, Nov 1, 2008.

1. aroshtr

aroshtr Well-Known Member

The search function does not appear to be working so I appologize if this has been dealt with before.

I have a Savage 30-06 that I picked up, and want to make a small bore project out of it. My goals are to build an accurate gun that I can use for plinking, varmint/small game hunting, with an occaisional wt doe thrown in the mix.

I have a custom 7mm STW that I do the majority of my hunting with, so I would like something a little smaller and cheaper to shoot for fun. I want to use the 105-115 grain VLD bullets. I want to try and match the drop and wind drift of my STW as close as possible (180 Ber VLD at 2960fps) so I will always be prepared for hunting season. I was originally thinking about a 6mmBR, but it really lacks the velocity to be very good practice or to hunt with at extended ranges. Here are the cartridge options I know of:
    243 win
    243 win AI
    243 wssm
    6mm Rem
    6mm Rem AI
    6mm BR
    6mm-06
    6mm-284

I am not sure I want to deal with fireforming if there is another case that is commercially available, or easily formed. I do not have the tools to trim necks, and don't know if I will need to do that with the 6-284 or the 6-06. I would like to be able to get decent reloading dies. I would like to get in the neighborhood of 1600-2000 rounds of barrel life. I would like it to be fairly easy/forgiving with load development. In addition I would really like to be able to order a saveage pre-fit barrel in what ever calibre I decide.

I am currently leaning towards the standard 243, or the 243 wssm, but the 6-06 would fit well as the gun is already an 06. I hope you guys can offer some advise and I do appreciate any help or ideas provided.

Joel

2. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Hi Joel ,

I think you have pretty much listed the major players in 6mm.

I'd say it comes down to choosing a cartridge that will go the 1600-2000 rds. you mention.The plain old .243 is hard to beat -buy 100pc of lapua brass -dies -and pre-threaded barrel and start load developement.There's plenty of load data out there for sure.

Myself i'd opt for the 243ackley -basically no trimming -good dies are available -and it's got the cool factor.By the time you get the brass fire-formed and the barrel broke in you'll have a good idea of which bullet the barrel likes.Shooting vld's into the rifling/lands is the ticket for fireforming brass too.

I love the 6mm's although i don't have one -they have great bullet selection -low recoil -great killing power on thin-skinned animals -good luck w/your choice !-Mike

3. joecool

joecool Well-Known Member

Well since you have a long action I think I would go with the 6mm AI. I have the 6mm AI and the 243 the 6mm AI is the better of the two IMO.

4. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

243AI is a great round. Another option that doesnt require fireforming would be the 6-6.5x47 Lapua. It is kinda like a 6BR on steroids. 115s at 3100, barrel life in the 2500 range, very forgiving to load IMO

5. drbobc

drbobc Well-Known Member

I for one use a 240 weatherby which everyone seems to ignore these days. It is fast, the ammo is reasonable and reloading data are readily available. Barrel life is fine and it is an ideal deer/varmint rifle.

bob chronister

6. aroshtr

I thought about the 240 Weatherby, but I think it is one of the biggest cases out of all the ones I have looked at, and worried that it was over-bore enough to really reduce barrel life. The brass seems really expensive as well, but I would not have to fireform.

It looks like the 6mmai takes a little more powder, but most guys say the barrel live exceeds the 243ai. The brass choices are better for the 243 however. Is the longer neck of the 6mm better for these 105-115 grain bullets?

The components/dies seem a little cheaper for the non AI cases, but it seems like the "experts" and people with experiance strongly suggest the ai's. Is there really that much difference with the slightly increased case capacity? Also do the AI versions have the same trim length and approx. OAL?

Thanks for the help guys... I'm getting closer!

Joel

7. landcbeitner

landcbeitner Well-Known Member

I'd go with the standard 243. I love mine! Excellent ballistics, excellent accuracy, easy to develop accurate loads. If you want the cool factor, go for the 6x6.5x47 Lapua. The brass is more expensive, but it's the hot new 6mm cartridge.

8. aroshtr

Is the 6-6.5X47 Lapua the same as the 6X47 Lapua?

I found the 6X47 http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6x47.jpg
    6X47 Improved http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6x47improved.jpg
    6X47 Lapua (no drawing) 6x47 Lapua @ www.reloadersnest.com
    Here is the 6.5X47 link with a drawaing but I can't figure out what bolt face size it would use. I aasume that the what I am looking for is a necked down version of this. 6.5x47 Lapua Benchrest--New Cartridge Info

Found a picture here but no dimensions. More “Long Dasher” Info (6-6.5×47 Lapua Improved) « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

I guess while I was looking and typing this I found a decent article. Still looking for the right bolt face. Beginski's New 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua

It does have the "cool factor" for sure! This might ba a viable option as long as I can get good reloading dies.

9. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Yes, they are the same.

I'm nuts for the 243 Ackley and the 115 DTAC's. Every time I take it out I'm amazed at what it can do. It's the one I let everyone shoot when they want to stretch their legs and don't have the proper equipment.

10. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I hear ya on the 243 AI, love mine. But, I do not see any gains with the 243Ai over the 6x47 Lapua. I think that when using heavy bullets the 6x47 will run bullets about the same velocity albeit higher pressured, but it is a higher pressure rated case. I get just as many reloadings from 6x47 brass running the 115s at 3100 as I do from my 243AI running 115s at 3100 even though the 6x47 is using higher pressure. I would guess it is because of the thicker case head and small primer design. (the 6x47 is a 28 inch barrel while the 243AI is a 26 but is a little slower twist 8)
    Both are very accurate but I think the 6x47 wins that by a wink. Brass prep is actually easy with either one and I do not think you could go wrong with either.

Now do not get me started on the 6x284 IMO just a waste of capacity. Now if some better high BC bullets become available someday I may change my mind. But with what I could find to use at the time I couldnt find anything in the 105-115 range that would stay together due to extreme rotational forces and velocity. I like slightly compressed loads, I do not think there is a powder slow enough to give you a compressed load with the 115s in a 6x284. I still have my reamer and saved my brass just in case some bullets become available, but until then I think it is a waste.

11. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

eddybo, I'd probably feel the same way but I have no experience with the 6x47. I'm pushing 3200 with the 115's in a 30" pipe. As far as the case design I've never really paid attention.

I don't like change so I'll probably be an Ackleyite for life...well as far as the .243 goes anyway. The 6x47 is appealing though.

12. shiredude

shiredude Writers Guild

I guess I am a little biased, but the 243 AI gets my vote. Just got finished building my 2nd one. This 2nd one has a little different barrel than the first one and so far it is shooting lights out! I am running the 115 bergers about 3120 and it looks like this is going to be the load she likes.
    Now I have to get the old one rigged up for coyotes and deer. Probably some 55 grainers going around 3900, maybe the 80 grain BT's, I bet they would tear some stuff up pretty good!

13. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Not to hijack this thread but what powder did you settle on?

14. drbobc

drbobc Well-Known Member

Well the 240 weatherby will also push a 115 grain Barnes slug to 3130 fps using H4831 or IMR 7828 and that is in a 24 inch barrel while the classic 240 has a 26 inch barrel so should be 150 fps faster.

Mine 26 inch 240 is currently being customized.

bob chronister