Which 6.5 for a short barrel?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Stalker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

Just getting ready to rebarrel an rifle to a 6.5. Rifle will be long action with either a 20 or 22" barrel. I do a lot of hunting in thick brush so I want something short. I however want something capable of longer shots if necessary. I dont see ever going over 600yds.
    Trying to decide between 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5-06, and 6.5-284.
    Will any of these have an advantage in a shorter barrel?

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

The 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 have basically the same case capacity. The advantage to the 284 is that there is Lapua brass available and it's a shorter fatter case which tend to be more efficient with shorter barrels. Get an 8 twist and try some RL17.

3. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I like the 260, 260 AI, and the 6.5 Lapua for short actions and short barrels. Lapua brass available for each.

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I believe he said it's going on a long action

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Damn. I should have caught that from the cartridges listed. I will have to modify my suggestion. Go with a short action to match the short barrel! Then, use one of the cartridges I mentioned. :D

6. vendetta333

vendetta333 Well-Known Member

so what if it is a long action. that just means he can load SA rounds without being limited by mag length. and if its just a hunting rifle and not concerned with barrel life, go 260AI and put 140's as far out as you want them. should be a dang tack driver with the ackley shoulder and the short rigid barrel. if i may id suggest a #7 contour fluted. very rigid at the twenty inch mark and the flutes will keep it light. just my opinion. keep the thread updated! :D