Which 33 ?

flatwater bill

I want to buy/build a 338 and am having trouble deciding which one. It looks like they start at the little Federal and go upward. 338/06 and AI version. 338 WM and 340 WBY. I am confused about the 338 Edge. It is very similar capacity wise to the 338RUM. does it have some advantage that is not obvious to me? The 338 Lapua is out as I don't want a .588 case head or a 20 degree shoulder. 330 Dakota, or the Lazzeroni?

I see more posts here about the 338 Edge.

I had almost decided on the Dakota, but since I found this site, and did a little reading here, I figure somebody knows a few things I don't. Maybe quite a few. I appreciate any advice...........................thanks..................FWB

338 Edge is simply a 300 RUM necked up to 338. The 300 RUM case is a bit longer than the 3338, so you get a bit more case capacity out of the 338-300 RUM (338 Edge).

Lots of options, no right answer. If you just want a go-to 338 hunting rifle without really wanting to shoot very long range, the 338 win mag (or 340 wby) is tough to beat. If you want to stretch out the range you'll want to jump up to the 338 RUM or Edge (or other big case) to be able to push the heavier bullets with enough fps.

Base on my own preferences and how I hunt, I'm a fan of the standard 338 RUM. I don't need the little bit of extra fps you get out of the edge/lapua/etc. But lots of guys love the Edge for the extra fps. Just fun to have lots of options!

Are you leaning towards a full custom build, or installing a new barrel on an action you already have?

338 Edge is simply a 300 RUM necked up to 338. The 300 RUM case is a bit longer than the 3338, so you get a bit more case capacity out of the 338-300 RUM (338 Edge).

Lots of options, no right answer. If you just want a go-to 338 hunting rifle without really wanting to shoot very long range, the 338 win mag (or 340 wby) is tough to beat. If you want to stretch out the range you'll want to jump up to the 338 RUM or Edge (or other big case) to be able to push the heavier bullets with enough fps.

Base on my own preferences and how I hunt, I'm a fan of the standard 338 RUM. I don't need the little bit of extra fps you get out of the edge/lapua/etc. But lots of guys love the Edge for the extra fps. Just fun to have lots of options!

Are you leaning towards a full custom build, or installing a new barrel on an action you already have?

Yup. Exactly what he said!!!

Thanks................I will probably buy the rifle. I like the rifles for sale on this site, just not sure yet.

I bought a Rem 700 Classic about 30 years ago in 264WM. Loved this gun. So much that I wore it out. Last year had the action rebarreled by Hart in 6.5/7mm Dakota, restocked , put on Zeiss scope. Don't think I saved a lot over cost of out of the box long range rifle. Action needed a little work, which added to cost, and everything pretty expensive. Great shooter, but want to put out a heavier bullet. I am not sure that the 338 win offers a lot over my 300 Win. The latter with a 220grain Nosler semi spitzer is a pretty hard hitter.

Anyway, about the time I was going to buy a Sendero in 338 RUM, they stopped making it.

Also liked the standard length of the 330 Dakota, but maybe bullets like the SMK 300 need a longer action/cartridge oal anyway. Tired of forming cartridges, so will likely not get the Edge..............thanks for the input.............FWB

I agree that if you want a long range setup, the 338 win mag is not the way to go... based on a win mag case, you'll get better long range performance out of the 300.

I'm currently having a 338 RUM built... won't be done until September. Waiting sucks, maybe should have gone through Len. I've heard the rifles he has built are awesome, and he almost eliminates the wait time. Regardless, I can't wait to start shooting the 338 RUM. With the 250 Berger Elite Hunter and RL33, I should be right around 3000 fps.... gonna be strong elk medicine this year! gun)

I do not see all the sense of the wildcat cartridges and the expense to set one up or tune it. 338 RUM, 338 Lapua and the 338-378 Weatherby are the 338s that will put the hammer down, in that order. 338 Weatherby with a 250 to 280 gr bullet will outperform all, and the others mentioned have easy to get components and brass. The quality of the Weatherby components do make it easy to load and the availability of the Accumark makes it easy not to have to go to a custom built rifle.

Timber..............................are you going with a 26" bbl" I think the 338 as you are having built will be about the ultimate elk cartridge...........should take elk from most any angle. That is what I want, some compromise between long range power and portability.

Elk Man.....thanks, forgot about the Wby. Looking in two manuals, and in both of these, the Weatherby does not beat the 338 RUM in velocity. The case is 20% bigger, what gives? If it is like the 264 WM, manuals always had it underloaded. Maybe same with Weatherby. ........................FWB

Timber..............................are you going with a 26" bbl" I think the 338 as you are having built will be about the ultimate elk cartridge...........should take elk from most any angle. That is what I want, some compromise between long range power and portability.
......FWB

I am actually going with a 27" barrel. What you said is my exact goal for the rifle... the ultimate elk rifle that is still portable. Here's the specs of my 338 RUM build:

Borden Timberline Action w/ Wyatt well
Hart 27" #4 contour w/ muzzle brake
Jewell Trigger
McMillan A3 Game Scout w/ Edge fill

Have not settled on a scope yet. I love the NF ATACR on my 300 win mag, but it sure is heavy... If anybody has other scope recommendations I'm all ears. Even considering something like the new Leupold VX6 with the custom shop TS-32X1 MOA reticle, and not even using Turrets... but not sure about that yet.

Overall I think this rifle will be just a bit light to fully utilize the potential of the cartridge. But I am primarily a backpack elk hunter, so weight is a huge factor for me. What the gun will be is an absolute elk hammer out to whatever distance I am able to shoot it accurately in the field... which I am confident will still be a very long ways off.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.