Which .25 cal bullets

G

I'm gonna be loading for a 25-06 soon and was wanting a little info on bullets to use for our small coastal deer out to 300yds.

The deer are gonna top out at 200lbs , shots won't be over 300yds and rarely in wind above 15mph
I was thinking either the 100gr or 115gr Nosler Balistic tip , the 115 has a much higher BC so I was thinking it must be a good bit longer , I've also heard that Hornady has a 117gr SST that copuld be an option.
I know that the BC of a bullet doesen't mean much when shooting 300yds , I'm just looking for a good bullet that will help limit or eliminate having to track the deer for hrs.

I shoot the 100gr 6.5mm ballistic tip at a relatively slow 2,900-3,000fps (first shot out the clean barrel is 100fps slower but groups the same - go figure!)on our fallow deer which top out 160lbs field dressed.

It works well in the hands of a patient expert ie someone who can wait and place a near perfect broadside shot at the vitals BUT I have recovered it on the far side on such shots with the bigger bucks and even on much smaller deer when the shoulder has been hit.

Ballistic tips are not equal, the 25 cal ones may be tougher but I personaly wouldn't use a 100gr one in a 25-06 (3,300fps?) unless I had a dog for trailing.

I really don't hold with a lot of what's said about BTs I love them but appreciate I won't allways get an exit. That said most of them only go about 30yards and the dog can find them even with no blood trail.

The 115g BT is an excellent choice for your 25-06. I used that bullet exclusively for eastern oregon mule deer. Longest kill was 604 yards. Shortest about 75 yards. Have not found a bullet yet. Most deer drop like a rock when hit, except for the 604 yarder which went about 25 yards before piling up. In short, find a good load with the 115g BT and stick with it. The Hornaday 117g SST is not as good as the 115g BT, in my opinion and the testing that I did to further back my reasoning. First, the BT's shot better. Second, the BT has about a BC of .453 while the SST is about .391 due to there crappy boat tail if you would even call it that. Third, I shot both bullets into wet newspaper and the BT out penetrated and held more weight than the SST. Hope this helps some.

I have had real good luck with the 25-06, 115 grain ballistic tip and 60 grains or so of Hodgdon Retumbo. It's the best shooting combination that I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.