Where to start

oregonboy

Hello, newbie here with newbie questions. I have a stock savage 110 lh in .264 win mag, and I would like to start a budget build to use for blacktail deer, black bear and pronghorn's. I am thinking a new trigger, maybe a new barrel and a new stock?. What do you think?. I want a very reliable gun that will take game out to 500 yrds, and can anyone suggest a gunsmith in the portland oregon area.

Unless you are having trouble with those parts or the rifle in general, I don't see why you would need to change anything. The requirements you gave are very reasonable, and while I have never owned a Savage myself, I can't see why you would not be able to meet them if you actually spend the time practicing with it. If you really just want to buy stuff, by all means go for it, but I don't think it would be nessecary.

If I were you I would spend your money on some reloading literature. And then follow it up with reloading equipment. I am still pretty new (started last x-mas), but it has been hands down the best "accuracy investment" I have made, if for no other reason than has made everything I shoot more accurate, not just one rifle. And since rounds are cheaper, I get more practice in, so it makes me more accurate too! The only thing I regret about learning to load my own is that I didn't do it sooner.

Farout here (From Oregon too).

How does it shoot? Maybe you don't need to do anything to it! The .264 Win mag should definitely be capable of taking all the critters specified at the distance specified. But a factory rifle grouping 1.5 inches at 100 yards would be grouping 7.5 inches at 500 yards. So if that .264 can do that, I would call it good.

I'm a Savage fan too. Own 5 of them.

I would say you already have a reliable gun that will take game out to 500 yards. Put your cash into your reloading components.

If you're really just wanting something more original, unique, and entertaining, aftermarket barrels, stocks, and triggers for Savages are near endless.

Also, check out this article:

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

And spend a lot of time shooting in all weather conditions.

But, if you've got decent glass on it, you've already got a good setup for what you're talking about.

You don't say what glass you have. That will probably be the biggest help to you of any one thing you can do. Cheap glass is a killer, but not the type you want.
Next, like has been said, handload for your rifle. It will let you tailor your load and keep the cost down.
Then after you have shot the crap out of it, you will know more of what you want. Then you can go crazy on the upgrades.

Thank you , I will look at starting to get the stuff together to do some hand loads for my gun. I read that article and it was really good, I found some good videos on midway usa on how to bed a rifle barrel and free float it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.