Where to start on a Savage 11

dust

Just picked up a Savage Model 11 in 308. Blued action, accutrigger, DBM, tupperware stock. Won't be able to shoot it for a while, and wanted to try to make it better while I was out of the country. Should I send it to get the action worked over and the trigger done, or should I just keep it in the safe until I get to shoot it? Going to get an SSS mag extension, and probably upgrade the cheapo scope and probably rings, but wanted to know where else to go to get it from the 2 MOA the PO was shooting down to sub-MOA.

Purpose is to expand my shooting range, hopefully one day out to 1000 yards. Want something that is walkable and shootable from a bipod or sticks, probably >10 lbs, and was considering 2 more barrels, a 204 ruger or 22-250, and a 243 or other 6mm OTC variety. It may end up with a WSM barrel, but that is way down the road. Probably be more on a bench than in the field, but hope to shoot some varmints or pigs with it.

Last edited:
Send it to SSS for a time and true and competition trigger.

Get a Stockade stock.

Get a better barrel. At least a factory FP or Varmint barrel.

Better Scope, bases, and rings.

All that should get you sub 1/2 MOA.

By itself, no. Compared to the SSS trigger, yes. It is head and shoulders better than the accutrigger. Especially if Fred times your action to it all at once.

Honestly not looking to get anywhere past action and bedding/stock work. Otherwise I would have bought a Remmy. May put a different stock on it, but that will be down the line.

Last edited:
wouldnt mess with the trigger at this point. The stock is a good place to start, B$C, free floated, I would hold onto the rest of the parts before I go totally crazy, if you're just getting into long range, practice with it first, then add new stock, bed the action and put a Busnell 3200 on it or Horus something like this that will get you good precision reticle, then practice with it, I think youll find the Savage barrel and trigger will work out well until you work yourself up into the higher grade. If you think about SSS, he could build you a rifle from scratch for what your starting to talk about, but you will be pleasantly surprised with what Savage gives you (less stock of course). IMO do stock work and bedding and run with it first. will save you some money for a future better rifle and scope. good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.