Where to start? Found the answer!

I'm pretty sure I tossed out the targets that I shot the .030 at, it was that bad. But mind you they were shot with a different powder (H1000) and at 200yd. This last group I posted was with H4831SC @ 100Yd. I'll put up some targets when I get back out again, maybe today or tomorrow.

I have 25 x 265 LRX. I'll try a .050 jump to the lands. I'm also going to try H4831SC (must faster than H869 & Retumbo). Maybe Barnes just like to "hit" the lands faster. Hope to post the targets next week.

By the way, I loaded up my trusty 300 grain SMKs/Retumbo and shot a .5" group right out of the shoot today. They are just so predicable and cosistant.

I have 25 x 265 LRX. I'll try a .050 jump to the lands. I'm also going to try H4831SC (must faster than H869 & Retumbo). Maybe Barnes just like to "hit" the lands faster. Hope to post the targets next week.

By the way, I loaded up my trusty 300 grain SMKs/Retumbo and shot a .5" group right out of the shoot today. They are just so predicable and cosistant.

Solids ( like TTSX ) do not obdurate like lead core bullets when contacting the lands. They need to jump so there is not an instant pressure spike. When I first started loading the Barnes X bullet ( the original X ) I thought I knew more than Barnes and I loaded them right on the lands with a recipe I had for a Ballistic Tip and I am lucky that nothing catastrophic happened. The only two I shot collapsed the cases at the shoulder. Why it took two before I realized what was going on I don't know. I pulled all of the bullets and checked the powder weights and then tried this load again jumping with no pressure signs seen. The original X was a little softer so I started using Acculube 10X coating on them and this combo worked so well I have never looked back. I now coat them myself using hBn even though the new TTSX have pressure rings and are a harder copper. These bullets "KILL." I load two bullets for each of my hunting rifles. 1 Berger VLD and 1 TTSX and I jump them both but for different reasons.

coyotezapper,

did you use faster than normal powder, normal, or slower than normal powder?

coyotezapper,

did you use faster than normal powder, normal, or slower than normal powder?

No real answer for that. They all differ. Some slow, some fast.

7MM STW 140 TTSX H1000 ( getting ready to try 145 LRX )
7MM Rem Mag 120 TTSX H4350 or N560 ( much faster )
338-06 225 TTSX Varget
25-06 100 TTSX H4350
6.8 SPC 110 TSX H322
7mm-08 Ackley 120 TTSX Varget

was a good solution found for the 110ba using 265 gr lrx ?? i recently grabbed a box and am now going through hell trying to find good load data, any help would be greatly appreciated,,I found hornadys TAP 250gr bthp to be a very accurate factory round in my 110ba

I know I haven't had the chance to do any more loading. It's been pretty busy at work but i have not given up on them yet (I sill have about 15 left).

What load setup are you using with the Hornady's?

the Hornadys are a factory load (TAP) Tactical Application Police, 250gr bthp, i have gotten sub moa consistently with these rounds, hoping to duplicate that with my own loads

Below are my last load using the 265LRX bullets. I pulled the OAL back from 3.750 to 3.680 and tried H4831SC which does really well with 250 SMK's. This looks primising. I think I pulled the flyer on the 79.4.

Attachments

• 9-17-11_265LRX_3680_H4831SC_794.jpg
    9-17-11_265LRX_3680_H4831SC_794.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 128
At 3.680" I'm .103 off the lands. I might have enough time to load it up again before the hunt.

Jlamb how have you made out? Were you able to get some loaded up for your hunt?

Here are my latest results. I was finally able to load up the last 17 bullets that I had. Since I only had 17 bullets left I ended up loading groups of three versus groups of five so that I could get more out of what I had left.

I used [email protected] for all the loads, all I changed was the COAL. I did three shots at each of 3.701, 3.691, 3.681, 3.671 and 3.661 which put me at .060, .070, .080, .090 and .100 off the lands respectivly.

Loading at 86.0 of H4831SC seemed a tad bit hot though. The primers were cratered a bit but extraction was not a problem. When I shot the last string, all three shots came up as an error on my chrony, I couldent believe it, so I have no data for the last string shot go figure!

Anyway, the pics..

Attachments

• Target 1.jpg
    Target 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Target 2.jpg
    Target 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Target 3.jpg
    Target 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Target 4.jpg
    Target 4.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Target 5.jpg
    Target 5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.