where to pack hunt

ducmarc

since i want to pack hunt out west hope this is the right spot. u guys have been great helping me. i.ve hunted in my eastern comfort zone for many moons but allways wanted to go out west. u guys helped me on my rifle and pack.now i need to find a place to hunt. heres my questions i would like to hunt one of the following black bear, black tail deer, moose or elk. i can't afford a guide but would be willing to pay a rancher to hunt on their land or state land. my daughter who is 18 and athletic, will be coming also. we perfer stalk hunt 3 to 5 days. i've upped my training(diet and cardio). i'm not asking for anyones secret honey hole but need to know which way to go on lotterys and tags. allthough i would like a kill, one on one time out west with my daughter is the main thing.shes never been passed the mississippi. i've traveled all over the west but never got to hunt. if anything someplace away from meth labs pot plants and moonshine stills thanks for all the help

Black bear are pretty tough to find spot and stalk.
Blacktail deer are really difficult unless you find a private ranch that has a good population.
Moose you will need to draw a tag and that will take lots of points and luck unless you're headed to Alaska.
Elk you have a good possibility. Check out Colorado. Over the counter bull tags and some of the most incredible scenery on earth.
Do some research and Google Earth scouting and you should be good. Find some likely looking country and give it a shot.

I would start with a over the counter elk tag in Colorado or maybe a deer hunt in Wyoming both are easy tags to get and you will have a blast pm me for more info hope u find what your looking for

Newbie question. with the Colorado Over the counter bull tags, would it be rifle or bow that is easier to get and what units is the best to have a chance to getting elk.
I would like to give it a go with my father in law.
any tips would be helpful

thanks all

If you were to draw an elk tag here in NM you could buy an over the counter bear license for $260 and hunt both species at the same time. Bear is a Sept. 1-24 archery only, Sept. 25th to Nov. 30th any legal sporting arm license. I know I can hunt both elk and bear
with my ML in October and with the sign I saw the last couple of years I am going to make sure I have a bear tag in my pocket.

If you were to draw an elk tag here in NM you could buy an over the counter bear license for $260 and hunt both species at the same time. Bear is a Sept. 1-24 archery only, Sept. 25th to Nov. 30th any legal sporting arm license. I know I can hunt both elk and bear
with my ML in October and with the sign I saw the last couple of years I am going to make sure I have a bear tag in my pocket.

I agree red sparky. This last year I stalked a bear within 9 yards just for fun since I didn't have a tag in my pocket but I sure as heck will next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.