where to get scope rings

pressman

Hello guys
I just bought a new night force scope from a friend of mine and i would like to know what rings i need. and where i can get them. i would prefer to buy one from a sponsor here at long range hunting, but i will be needing them in a month.
the scope i bought is a 5.5 X 22 X 50mm NP1 reticule $1175.00
it will be going on a custom build for a 260 caliber.
My smith told me i would need a set of high rings.
if any sponsors here wants to PM me with a price that would be great.

Thanks

Not to be mean but just to make sure you don't waste your money and other peoples time, in your last post you said you were looking at a 56mm NF- Did you get a 50mm instead?

You need to specify what base you have in order for anybody to quote a price on rings.

Yes i did go with the 50mm i hope i am not disappointed but when my friend offered the 50mm and it is still in the box for the price and told me i could pay as i wish I really hated to pass it up.
did i make a bad choice?

I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with your choice. I merely pointed out a small discrepancy between your two posts that would cause a difference in ring height needed.

As far as scope selection, it all goes back to one issue and one issue only- the purpose of the rifle. For a competition rifle you are always shooting in excess light situations so objective size is not a critical parameter. For a hunting rifle, it gets more complicated and depends upon a lot of things such as distances to be shot, size of target, time of day hunted, and mostly your own vision. When I was young I could shoot all day and most of the night with a 40mm objective but nowadays I can just barely make it to sundown with a 40mm objective unless the range is very close.

The same issue applies to rings and bases to an extent- the purpose of the rifle determines exactly what is needed.

Buffalobob,

That is what i love about this forum are experience people like you willing to share your experiences and try to help people into not really making mistakes but looking at a situation from different angles and perspectives. I will do a lot of target shooting with this rifle but it will definitely have it's share of woods time as well. I am very young in the sport of long range shooting, but i have some really close friends in Wyoming (Sheridan area) that allows me to come out as often as i can. They have a 3,000 yard range set up on their ranch. Up until this build i just used my old faithful hunting rifle which is a m77 270 with a custom barrel and a trued action. great hunting rifle just i needed a little better bullet selection. of course i will not shoot 3,000 with my 260 the extra distance is for the 50 calibers.

You should consider at least a 20 MOA base of the Weaver style. Possibly you could use a 30 MOA base but probably it is not needed. Any of the reputable manufacturers of bases will be fine. If you wish you can have your gunsmith install it and bed it (if needed) as Coyboy says up in the Basics category.

Burris Extreme rings are reasonably priced and do a good job. I have a set on my 7AM and they are good. If you fall and roll down the hill you will have to rezero and no rings will hold under that kind of abuse. Semi custom rings like Seekins and NightForce are said to be excellent but I personally have not used them. I assume that you are no longer trying to save weight if you bought a NF NXS so lightweight means nothing anymore.

I think you will be happy with the NF and the 260 if you find a good high BC bullet to shoot. Wyoming is a great place to learn how to shoot long range and misread the wind and miss!!! You will have a lot of fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts