Where to buy/ hire an 338 Edge reamer??

Steve7mm08

I am still compiling all my bits but am leaving the final decison on calibre hanging, will be a .338 cal and most likely an edge.

Where do you pick up reamers for chambering the .338 edge or can they be hired? Do reamers come with the go and no-go gauges?

I nearly bit the bullet so to speak and got Shawn Carlock to build me one but our dollar took a nosedive bigtime against the greenback and I am scared it will drop even further so getting one made in the US is not an option at the moment.

cheers, Steve

Steve,

Pac-Nor will send you a 338-300 ultramag barrel finished with muzzle brake and ready to screw in to your action at a very fair price. They have excellent quality barrels that are as good as any on the market. That has been a very popular chambering for about ten years now by quite a few gunsmiths. I know I built 65 of them in 1999 alone.

Steve,

Pac-Nor will send you a 338-300 ultramag barrel finished with muzzle brake and ready to screw in to your action at a very fair price. They have excellent quality barrels that are as good as any on the market. That has been a very popular chambering for about ten years now by quite a few gunsmiths. I know I built 65 of them in 1999 alone.

I am in New Zealand and importing barrells is a hassle (for one anyway), plus I am in the process of having a contact bringing one in with his barells.
Just need the reamers/gauges and I will be into it, cheers

pacifictoolandgauge.com has reamers and gauges. But, I believe that the first ones built used a 338 RUM reamer and 300 RUM gauges. Just run the reamer in deep and set headspace with the 300 gauge. You can probably find someone in NZ that has both.

Cheers guys.

I am in a real bind whether to go 338 Edge or Lapua. It looks like the Lapua brass is shorter so might fit in a R700 mag easier, would that be right?
In saying that I am impressed with the Edge and because Shawn chambers the Edge on 700 actions there cant be too much of a problem with length.

For me the Edge was a no brainer. RUM brass is much cheaper for me than Lapua. Standard magnum bolt face and will work in factory bottom metal. I have not fire formed any brass yet but the capacity should be close. HS and Seekings both make DM bottom metal for either round on a 700. I think the Seekings has a longer box though.

For me the Edge was a no brainer. RUM brass is much cheaper for me than Lapua. Standard magnum bolt face and will work in factory bottom metal. I have not fire formed any brass yet but the capacity should be close. HS and Seekings both make DM bottom metal for either round on a 700. I think the Seekings has a longer box though.

Youre not wrong, Lapua .338 brass is NZ$5 per piece!, I can pick up Nosler Custom 300RUM brass for NZ$2.10approx

Has anyone here used the Nosler Custom brass in the Edge or is the Remington adequate?

All this info is great and I really appreciate it, I am not aware of anyone in NZ having an Edge so all the info is off this site, cheers

I'm going to be using Remington Brass to start. I've got a pile of it (I have 3 other RUM's). The Nosler brass is suppose to be top notch. I will try it also.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts