Where to buy EGW picatinny mount?

and because "its" used by the military its the BEST of its category? Pass me that crack pipe...I need a hit too!

Its no different that scopes used by snipers and wannabe's today. Back in REAL WORLD they used 8X and I think??..not sure...some 10X fixed glass. Now every guy that lays belly down to shoot has to have a 5-50 X with enough hash marks in the view finder to block the target out totally.

Military...yeah.."better"!

Please quote my post & highlight where I put Military and Better into the same sentence let alone the same paragraph. Back in the day they drove model A's too.....

As to your second comment, I do not own nor ever have owned a 5-50 (if they exist). My comments are based on those who use their firearms as a tool to either save lives or earn their living where "Good Enough" doesn't cut it.

If I have to get out the crayons I will. I never said your vaunted EGW wouldn't work, I merely stated that there are other options that may provide better quality & strength. I DID state that in particular situations, with particular setups, they are probably not best choice.

t

I owned a $4,500 (valued) custom .308 built off a Model 7 action, that was built by a good friend of mine, who is very renowned gunsmith. I had Leupold dovetail rings and bases on it...Would still shoot 1 hole groups. It got stolen in 2008, and I doubt I'll ever see that gun again. I pray I do, but I doubt it.

Just b/c you have a $5K rifle, doesn't mean that name brand on any of the parts really means jack squat. I could have my friend built me a no-name rifle, machine me no-name custom carbon fiber stock, have him do all the work, machine me no-name rings & bases, and I bet it will STILL outshoot most of the rifles out there.

Just b/c a car says Ferrari on the side, doesn't mean the window-licker behind the wheel can drive it... :cool:

and because "its" used by the military its the BEST of its category? Pass me that crack pipe...I need a hit too!

Its no different that scopes used by snipers and wannabe's today. Back in REAL WORLD they used 8X and I think??..not sure...some 10X fixed glass. Now every guy that lays belly down to shoot has to have a 5-50 X with enough hash marks in the view finder to block the target out totally.

Military...yeah.."better"!
It's the same reason that everyone is dumping their 5R .308's and getting .300 WinMags now.....B/c if the military uses it, it MUST be the best. :rolleyes: Since the military has now phased out all their .308 M24's, and are rebarreling them to .300 WM.

.300 WM is a hell of a cartridge, but the 7mmSTW is better. Whether people want to admit it or not. Ballistics are ballstics. Holds more powder, shoots flatter, shoots further, and has bullets that carry more, or equal, BC as compared bullet weight-to-bullet weight.

Last edited:
I tried everywhere to find this thing and its backordered everywhere. I got my gun, scope, and rings on the way and the EGW 20moa is backordered for a month. I have tried cabelas, optic planet, bass pro, gander mountain, midway usa, swfa, egw. Anyone know where i could get one??

What type of rifle?

I owned a $4,500 (valued) custom .308 built off a Model 7 action, that was built by a good friend of mine, who is very renowned gunsmith. I had Leupold dovetail rings and bases on it...Would still shoot 1 hole groups. It got stolen in 2008, and I doubt I'll ever see that gun again. I pray I do, but I doubt it.

That's quite a kick in the guts, I feel for your there, no joking. It's like messing with a guys truck or girl, there are some things you just don't touch.

Just b/c you have a $5K rifle, doesn't mean that name brand on any of the parts really means jack squat. I could have my friend built me a no-name rifle, machine me no-name custom carbon fiber stock, have him do all the work, machine me no-name rings & bases, and I bet it will STILL outshoot most of the rifles out there.

Just b/c a car says Ferrari on the side, doesn't mean the window-licker behind the wheel can drive it... :cool:

I agree, to a point; name brand equipment manufacturers (a relatively vague term) are still in business because their products work & those who use & abuse their gear believe in them enough to pay more for that extra piece of mind. Your Ferrari comment made me laugh as it is true. Then again, I as the shooter would much rather be the least capable of the package (rifle, optics & shooter).

As stated before, different strokes, thats all.

t

Last edited:
As stated before, different strokes, thats all.

t
Seriously, I am enjoying the debate. Some folks might think we're feuding, but I'm seriously enjoying the interction and responses. :)

I do understand what you are saying, 100%, however, I was just saying that to some folks, name brands don't really mean squat. If I were a machinist, I could cut you a rail that would be just as good, or possibly better than a NF or Badger, and only charge you $75.00. Does that mean that the $150 NF or Badger is better b/c it cost more? Absolutely not.

All I was driving at was that just b/c something costs more, or has a prestigious name on the side, doesn't necessarily make it better than something else. You know?

And as for folks who use NF or Badger, I have no qualms what-so-ever. If I could afford to slap all NF gear and scopes on top of my high-dollar rifles, I wouldn't be shooting a $350 Konus M-30 on top of my nice $1,300 700 5R .308.....It's almost a sin. But it's all I can afford for now. And honestly, for the money, those scopes beat out most that cost double that, from my personal experiences with them. Still ain't great, but better than it could be.

Seriously, I am enjoying the debate. Some folks might think we're feuding, but I'm seriously enjoying the interction and responses. :)

I do understand what you are saying, 100%, however, I was just saying that to some folks, name brands don't really mean squat. If I were a machinist, I could cut you a rail that would be just as good, or possibly better than a NF or Badger, and only charge you $75.00. Does that mean that the $150 NF or Badger is better b/c it cost more? Absolutely not.

All I was driving at was that just b/c something costs more, or has a prestigious name on the side, doesn't necessarily make it better than something else. You know?

And as for folks who use NF or Badger, I have no qualms what-so-ever. If I could afford to slap all NF gear and scopes on top of my high-dollar rifles, I wouldn't be shooting a $350 Konus M-30 on top of my nice $1,300 700 5R .308.....It's almost a sin. But it's all I can afford for now. And honestly, for the money, those scopes beat out most that cost double that, from my personal experiences with them. Still ain't great, but better than it could be.

No sir, no feuding on my part :cool: I hear you loud & clear, we learn by interaction & discussion while growing the amount of knowledge contained on this site. I totally understand that price does not dictate quality (think CounterSniper) hopefully my posts did not come off that way. I do tend to push the higher end products as that's what I use & can stand behind; that's why I was trying pretty hard not to crap on EGW, I haven't use them. Do I have issues with what I see & hear? Yes, I do. My life experiences have always dictated that: "If it looks to good to be true, you can bet your rear it is." :D

t

I have both NF and EGW rails and I cant really tell much of a difference between them... that doesn't mean there isn't a difference. I have the heavy duty EGW's.

The EGW machining seems to be very good. Holes are drilled to center to .001 accuracy. They seem to be very rigid and strong.

If there were an objective way to rate them I would be interested in knowing it. I do put quality above cost, but if the quality is equal or satisfactory then cost does get my vote.

One big thing EGW has going for it is they are made about 20 min from where my family is from and where I went to High School... Quakertown PA :)

I am only going to make one post on this. I will say to the guys using the EGW's I am happy that you are having good luck with them. My experience has been much different. I had one that was so far off it must have been packaged wrong. It was suppose to be a 20 moa for a Weatherby SVM 22-250. I have a nightforce on top and it was a good thing it had 100 moa, because the rail was closer to 50 moa than 20. Not to mention how poorly it fit. I had another that was indeed the accuracy issue with a 300 win Sendero. The last one in my shop was on a 338 Lapua. The thin aluminum under the screws was giving away and it was walking around. Again, if they are working for you I am very happy. But I will pay a little more for a rail I can trust to hold a heavy scope on a long range rig. Let me also say, there is more to accuracy than just something that bolts on and "fits". Get a good rail made from quality material and reduce some of the deflection that is being transferred into you scope tube under recoil away and you may be pleasantly surprised what happen to your 1000 or 1500 yard groups. I will gladly spend the money for a NF or a Near or some of the other bases. Not looking to be attacked or argue, just offering what I have seen with my own experiences.

Jeff

Jeff, I don't doubt your experience but my experience has been different. I have a NF rail mounted on my 300 RUM Sendero with a NF scope on it and it works fine. I have 2 EGWs (both 20 MOA) mounted on a 25-06 Sendero and a 7 RM S&W M1500. The 25-06 has had a NF and now has a Clearidge Scope on it. It Travels about 49 MOA up and about about 5 down, zeroed @ 200. There is a NF on the 7 RM, zeroed @ 200 and it travels about 80 up and about 35 down... yup, 115 MOA of travel. The one on the 25-06 is a regular duty rail and it's bedded to the action. Haven't had any trouble with it but have only shot maybe 300 rounds through it. The one on the 7 RM is on there temporarily as I will be using the action for a build before long hopefully. I've got about 50 rounds or so through it and no issues. That said, I know those aren't great tests of the EGW's durability.

EGW makes their tactical rails out of extruded 6061 T6 aluminum. Their HD rails are machined from solid 7075 T6 aluminum. Not sure what their standard duty rails are made of. The HD rails are also "thicker" than the NF rail. I'm no metallurgical expert, but after a little research it seems that high grade aluminum is close in tensile strength to steel. Steel does have a significantly greater elastic strength (stiffness) than aluminum. Aluminum is also a softer metal and more prone to traumatic damage.

So overall, it's difficult for me to objectively evaluate the quality differences between the EGW bases and the NF base I have. The steel is stronger but the EGW HD bases have more mass. I have 4 EGW bases all together... 1 is a standard duty and 3 are heavy duty. They are all very well machined and fit the actions excellently. Two of them will be mounted on my Vanguards builds in 6.5 WSM and 6-284. My new RUM build will get a 40 MOA NF rail. I plan on putting the 6-284 and the 6.5 WSM through the paces this next year or so, so I guess I'll see how they work out.

BTW, EGW also offers steel rails for $120, $6 more than a NF.

To the OP, I would recommend a good quality steel rail if you're planning on putting it on a large magnum rifle. Say a 300 WM and up.

As for the EGW's, I don't have enough experience with them to recommend or not recommend them. So far they have worked out OK on a 25-06 and 7 RM. I would recommend getting the HD rails for medium duty cartridges. There is a significant difference between them and the standard duty rails.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.