Where To Buy Chronograph?

SHRTSHTR

Hi,
I want to buy a Chonograph but not sure of the best place to buy from. I would also like some advise on which Mfg is the best. It seems Oehler 35's are prefered but no longer available.

Also, what do you guys use for tri-pods? Thanks in advance.

Ray

From what I've been able to tell many folks here believe that the best currently available chrono is the CED M2. I ordered one from Sinclair recently for $193. I used it one day, packed it up and sent it back. It worked no better and gave no more reliable readings (and many of the shots registered as errors even though the screens were placed at 25 yards and connections, etc. were checked and rechecked) than chronos 1/2 it's price, in my experience. Fortunately, I have local access to an Oehler 33 and it gives much more consistent readings than do the other chronos I've used. Long range shooting out to over 1000 yds using Exbal, etc. seems to confirm the MV that I get from the Oehler much more so than what I get from other chronos. If you can find a Oehler 35 or even a 33, guard it with your life... :)

I use the CED M2 and although it will sometimes put an Error symbol on the readout, it always reads the shots. It is very sensitive and sometimes thinks a shot has happened. The E0 and E1 are when it thinks it sees something go over the start or stop sensor without reading the other. Mine does this while just sitting there, but when I shoot, it picks up the shot and ignores the Error flag. I've used mine with and without the IR screens. When it is REALLY bright outside, and I use the IR screens is when the Error flag lights up. In researching the condition, it is overload on the sensors (bright day + the IR lights). With the normal screens, it rarely happens. The IR screens will register shots in total darkness (I haven't tried total darkness, but they definitely work when it's too dark to see the targets!

I use a cheap camera tripod I've had for years.

AJ

AJ, Yeah, it was a frustrating experience to not have that M2 work. I may have gotten a bad unit, but we switched around everything that could be switched around and checked and rechecked and when it did work, I had ES well over 100fps--typically 17-25fps ES over the Oehler. If I would take the middle third, in terms of speeds recorded, and average them and input them into Exbal, actual shooting seemed to agree with the aveage MV calculated that way. That's the same thing I had to do with the the really cheap chrono in the past. That just doesn't seem to happen with the Oehler (there also happens to be a world champ 1K Palma shooter that works at the range that uses this Oehler I'm speaking of to check his load and he believes it's working fine).

In terms of lighting, the day I used it, the unit was completely shaded, albeit a bright sunny day. I think I have a pic of the setup.

2405107980068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Maybe I messed up somewhere, but chronos are not that complicated and this is not the first one I've used over the last several years.

Maybe I just got a bad one? I don't like to speak poorly of a manufacturer, but will relay my experience.

In shaded areas like you show in the picture, I've had great luck with the IR screen and it's battery. You likely got a bad unit. I've been around 2 of them that work great (with the exception of the overloads on bright days with the IR lights turned on).

AJ

Thanks guys,

I seen a couple Oehlers on Ebay a few weeks ago but did not know if they were any good. :mad: I do not need a unit until my hunting seasons are over. Might as well see if I can buy an Oehler, if not I guess it will be Ced M2

Thanks,

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.