Where should the seating die contact the bullet

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

For years we've all been taking "base to ogive" measurements. Seating bullets ti ogive measurements instead of COAL.

My factory seating dies all contact the bullet at about %50 of diameter, maybe less.

Where should it contact?
What is the optimal contact location?

I don't mean where does it. I know that. Across brands it's at %50 ish of diameter. Is that "best" if we are not measuring seating depth to that location?

My opinion (and it's just that...) would be closer to bullet diameter than what my current dies contact - it's less than 50% bullet diameter.

I think if it was 75%-80% or even more, it would likely decrease bullet runout caused by seating the bullet.

My reply about lapping stem advice in the current VLD thread:
Be careful with a fit too perfect. This can lead to excess wedging contact up & down the nose, with varying seating forces. This is also the reason you don't want seater stem datums near land contact datums. The angles would be too shallow for the stem to dig into grip.
Either causing inconsistent CBTOs.

Believe me, there is a very good reason seater stems contact low on the nose and at angles differing from most ogive profiles.
Just look at the angles & reason through it.

My reply about lapping stem advice in the current VLD thread:
Be careful with a fit too perfect. This can lead to excess wedging contact up & down the nose, with varying seating forces. This is also the reason you don't want seater stem datums near land contact datums. The angles would be too shallow for the stem to dig into grip.
Either causing inconsistent CBTOs.

Believe me, there is a very good reason seater stems contact low on the nose and at angles differing from most ogive profiles.
Just look at the angles & reason through it.

That makes sense. I did stick a bullet in the seating stem while seating a wildcat with a VLD bullet, was using a large die so I was sure the case would clear. Easy fix, use a smaller die/stem until the proper seater was made up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.