Where in Texas?

Only saw one pig the whole time. Property was over-pressured.

Patrick, While you and your group did not kill any pigs, please remember everyone in your group saw pigs throughout your stay. I also recall your partner shooting and missing a hog on the second night hunt. A hunt which you and your other hunting partner decided to skip and head back to the hotel, after showing great impatience because we did not allow you to poach from the neighboring property earlier that day. I do understand that weekend was slow, as we had abundant snow and rain two days prior, which is highly uncommon here in Texas. However, as stated in my emails to you, if two of the three hunters in your group had not skipped the second night of a two night hog hunt, you and your group would have been offered a free hunt with us. Especially considering the hunt you skipped proved to be successful for the person in your group that hunted that night. I cannot force you to hunt, and I can guarantee a 0% success rate while you're sitting in your hotel room. Best Regards, Clay Herzog President (682) 300 - 4008

I have emails of you admitting you saw more than one pig, so if you'd like I'd be happy to post a copy here.

Patrick, While you and your group did not kill any pigs, please remember everyone in your group saw pigs throughout your stay. I also recall your partner shooting and missing a hog on the second night hunt. A hunt which you and your other hunting partner decided to skip and head back to the hotel, after showing great impatience because we did not allow you to poach from the neighboring property earlier that day. I do understand that weekend was slow, as we had abundant snow and rain two days prior, which is highly uncommon here in Texas. However, as stated in my emails to you, if two of the three hunters in your group had not skipped the second night of a two night hog hunt, you and your group would have been offered a free hunt with us. Especially considering the hunt you skipped proved to be successful for the person in your group that hunted that night. I cannot force you to hunt, and I can guarantee a 0% success rate while you're sitting in your hotel room. Best Regards, Clay Herzog President (682) 300 - 4008

I have emails of you admitting you saw more than one pig, so if you'd like I'd be happy to post a copy here.

Awesome post. I had a wonderful time hunting with Landon. He was fun to mess with. I would love to go back. I drew a limited elk tag for colorado this year or I might of tryed to go back. I've told several people about my hunt. If you ever need a reference please use me.

Always two sides to every story. Good post Clay. One thing is for sure, if you're not out at night, you're missing out on a good 70% of your opportunities to shoot a hog in Texas. Be more dedicated, try harder, and don't bash your guide for your laziness!

I've been looking at the same thing. Just dropped a message off at Prone. I have business I need to do in Austin anyway and will have to go back in a couple of months, so if the first one's good, then a second one will be in order. Can't wait for a response to the message.

I've been looking at the same thing. Just dropped a message off at Prone. I have business I need to do in Austin anyway and will have to go back in a couple of months, so if the first one's good, then a second one will be in order. Can't wait for a response to the message.

Sent you a pm to ensure we got back to you.

Still gettin' after it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVVtcBqUv8

After my planned antelope hunt fell through, I'm thinking I would really like to do a hog hunt. I have a little extra money and I still want to do something. I'm thinking eastern texas. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which ranch to go to. I've read some horror stories online that scare me. Actually the only time I've ever payed an outfitter, it ended in disaster, so I'm a little trigger shy.
I'm really needing some advice, and maybe a point in the right direction. Though it would be nice, I'm not really to concerned about the long range thing. I'm a lot more worried about actually seeing something to shoot at.
So, do any of you have any experience that might help? This would be around a 20hr drive, so I'm really wanting to have a good time. I don't really need anything fancy, or even someone to clean what I shoot. Trust me, I can handle that. I just really want to have a nice hunt, with out braking the bank.
I have to use my vacation by mid-October.
So, any ideas?
I hunt them all the time , not for sport either ,,, there multiplying....I have shot most in the afternoon between 4:30 PM and 8 PM.... We got feeders and a trap and stands... One thing is for certain they might not come out the night you go to the stand....you never know. Its a combination of using feed and cameras to get a ruff idea when they will show up... If the sounder gets shot up very many times they will come later to the feeder, like 12 am to 3 am ,,,, they're smart. There's no guarantees to see or get one..A hog never stops moving, so its not easy to shoot them in the head....unless you are close lol
. I live north of Houston 50 miles ...

Last edited:
Its quit funny now days that we have to pay to hog hunt. I grew up in Texas and even though I've never did the hog thing, my little brother and my cousin did and also ran a little trapping business. It was mainly for fun but they had farmers paying them to try and remove/kill get rid of as many hogs as they could. The hogs destroyed the crops and sometimes would actually kill a new barn calf if they could. They could seen as many as 20 to 50 hogs in one weekend with out a problem. Some of the one they caught we cleaned and cut up, some was taking in to get processed to return back to the farmers for there food and they also used to be able to run them through the local auction sale as a lowest grade pork and make a little off of that....man how time has changed when...Everyone with some land and pigs starting seeing $$$$$...

Its quit funny now days that we have to pay to hog hunt. I grew up in Texas and even though I've never did the hog thing, my little brother and my cousin did and also ran a little trapping business. It was mainly for fun but they had farmers paying them to try and remove/kill get rid of as many hogs as they could. The hogs destroyed the crops and sometimes would actually kill a new barn calf if they could. They could seen as many as 20 to 50 hogs in one weekend with out a problem. Some of the one they caught we cleaned and cut up, some was taking in to get processed to return back to the farmers for there food and they also used to be able to run them through the local auction sale as a lowest grade pork and make a little off of that....man how time has changed when...Everyone with some land and pigs starting seeing $$$$$...View attachment 65166

I think its still that way, but you have to get to know the Ranchers first. A lot of city slickers bought land and believe every animal should have a blanket in the winter, so they are part of the problem, by not letting hunters in... The pigs multiple in their safe haven, that they give them on their land.

Then hogs come on to farmers and ranchers land, at night tearing the fields up and polluting water etc. So, that's why I carry a DPMS LR 308 with a night vision scope on it, so when I see them , I pinch on them hard....If wounded hogs get back on private property , well, that's just the way it is. I can't go there and finish them off or recover them. In the day, I got my savage 308, 4x16 scope .... I use the 165 gr SST too, so if I hit one in the leg, and it runs, its only running on 3 legs.... Night shots out to 280 yds, day shots can be 600 yds.... But I'm not out there to compete against any long range shooter or a brush hunter....I'm out there to kill them, period. If I think a 400 yd shot is the only shot on a lion , I'll take it. If I have hogs close , I'll run over them with my ATV, and shoot them with a 44 mag....or use my knife. This is not sport for me. These hogs are multiplying fast and that's what we need to address. My partner and I shot up a group of 50 or more two years ago, and most ran off the ranch onto private property.... The Rancher was happy.

Attachments

• MFDC1388.jpg
    MFDC1388.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 119
East Texas is where I live and there is a ton of public land. If I wanted Hogs only I would hunt the Alazan Bayou. Only deal is no center fire weapons allowed. Bow, Shotgun, or muzzle oaders for hogs. Deer is bow only unless selected for a draw hunt. Now Davey Crocket National forest has lots in areas but most of these woods you will not get a shot over 50 yards. $40 for license for small game no deer and $40 for public hunting permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.