Where does accuracy suffer?

25 Otter

OK,I need to ask a question. I'll try to word it correctly,but not sure I know how. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle for mountain hunting. Elk on down to whitetails east of the Mississippi. Now then. I've seen extreme light weights down to 5 pounds! Sheese! That would carry like a 20 oz bottle of soda. As tempting as it is to just head that route,I can't imagine the 300 yd accuracy being all that great. I know it comes down to the operator in the end,but fly weight rigs can't lay still very well. I have a Guide Special here I may re-barrel to a more elk like caliber. I have a personal limit (from an operator stand point ) of 400 yds in the field on game. Does anyone here have one of the fly weight rigs that will go say 1 1/2 MOA (benched) out to 400?

You can definitely put together a lightweight rig that will hold 1-1/2 MOA at 400 yards. I think that the key to that is to shoot a mild chambering. Most of the really lightweight guns I have seen that are accurate are .260 rem on the light side or a .284 win on the big side. You have to determine for yourself what you can shoot well weight wise, and go from there.
I personally would rather pack a 10-12lbs rifle in 7 mag or bigger (like a .338:D). I feel that for 5-7 lbs extra, you get a lot more effective range.
Most guys I see with 5lbs guns are HARDCORE sheep hunters that live out of their packs for 2 weeks or more and the weight is a big issue.

I have an old Ruger 77 MKII 7RM stainless with the skeleton stock, that weighs about 6 lbs with a scope on it. It will beat you to death, but it shoots 1 ragged hole groups @ 100 yards with my handloads, and the gun is 100% factory, other than a trigger job.

I wouldn't go any less than 20" with a 1:10 twist in a .308 Win.

But a Sendero / Varmint Contour barrel cut down to 20" is a really nice weight and the short heavy barrel is very stiff and not as prone to vibration and harmonics. But extremely capable out to 1K target shooting, even with factory Hornady TAP (red box) 168 BTHP's.

I used to have a model 7 custom setup like that in an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 Varmint stock (black/gray web, of course).

H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 Varmint Stocks - Remington Model 7 (Seven)

You wouldn't happen to know what that rig weighed would you? The M700 Mountain Guide I have here for a donor is of course a short action in 243. I don't have a problem opening up the bolt face,or fetching a PT&G bolt for it should the need arise. I like the 7 SAUM. But honestly the brass situation has me a little cautious. Never having a 6.5 round I'm itching to try one,but not too impressed with the short action versions.

Lets see....That gun was stolen back in 2008, so it's been quite a while since I had held it, but I've toted that gun many a mile...

I would have to say it was right around 10-11 lbs loaded, including the scope. Not a bad pack weight for a 1K paper-puncher. Small, compact, maneuverable. And inside of 850, just about anything that walks is gonna drop with a 168-175gr bullet.

I wouldn't shoot at deer-sized game at over around 750 yards with a 308...But that's just my opinion. It's one of my favorite calibers, but it's major downfall is that it starts losing alot of velocity and energry needed to take larger game, after about 600 yards or so.

Thanks MudRunner

A little heavy for what I have in mind,but I bet it was a shooter. I agree with your read on the 308. Fortunately I don't feel comfortable much over 400 in the field. Maybe I can find some middle ground between your rig and where the 243 is now.

A 6.5 Creedmoor is always a great caliber for a short-action rifle. You could always go with a 22" Krieger #3 and that should net you a little less weight, with a very potent caliber, using Lapua brass and 140 Berger VLD's.

I've had two Kimber Montana rifles, a .243 and a .300WSM that both shot sub-moa. I used the .243 to shoot a number of marmots as far as 565 yards.

My current elk rifle weighs 8 lbs scoped with a Nightforce compact. Still, it is a half MOA rifle. I made two first shot kills on marmots at 631 yards last weekend, and this is typical accuracy from that rifle. Because it is a light rifle and the .270 cal. 140 gr VLD's are only a .488 BC, it starts to get blown around badly when ranges get into the 800's.

I had an HS precision ultra light for a few weeks once. It was a solid 1.5 MOA rifle. .300WSM. I shot several different loads in it then sold it. Not good enough accuracy.

Here's the .270 WSM. Built by Allen Precision, aka fiftydriver here on LRH.

Attachments

• 631 yd 2.jpg
    631 yd 2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 84
Sweet! Pardon my tired eyes,is that a short action? I was concerned about the VLDs in a Remmy short action magazine. The nice thing about the Mountain Guide is it already has the Gen 1 Ti stock on it,and I just love the way it feels. My B-in-Law has an LSS Remington 270 WSM. He had it "gone over" and pillar bedded. That thing will one hole 140gr ballistic tips over RL19. I think its Rl 19. At any rate,it is a sweetie. That rig you have there @ 8 lbs would be fantastic. I'm sitting on a small pile of Colorado Muley points,and that would be sweet for filling the tag.

It's as sweet as it looks!
It is a short action, but with the way the barrel is throated my rounds easily fit the magazine and bullets still touch the lands.

Stiller Predator action, Satern #4 taper fluted barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL carbon fiber stock.

Too bad New Castle is so far from Gunnison. I'll be in Gunnison the 10th of Oct for lunch and supplies. We could have had a handshake and a howdy. Thanks for the info and that's a dandy rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.