Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

Sent you a pm on a possible action for your build.

Nathan

Hey thanks for that lead, Nate. Tell me something though. How in the hell did you come up with one (albiet it's 300, not 7, but does have the correct action) that is only an hour away from me, AND with an asking price that is workable for me? What can I say. I'm highly impressed. I did try calling, and got no answer. But it WAS past dinner time. I do plan on giving him a call, and paying him a visit tomorrow. I hope to come home with what I need, so I can finally put all of this BS behind me. But since I was just made into a non-believer that it was ever going to happen only like 4 hours ago, REAL belief will only come when I'm looking at it in MY own hands! Wish me luck. -Hey, maybe then you won't have to put up with my belly-aching anymore, ha, ha. You know, I think I AM in a better mood now than I was in earlier. I don't want to count my eggs before they're hatched though. I'll be happy when the book gets closed on THIS chapter, that's for sure!

-Steve

I know exactly where your coming from man, been there several times myself. The bad thing is I'm sure I'll be there again. This LRH thing is extremely addictive and sad to say not very cheap either, but few things are that you can have a good time at.

Hope that everything works out for ya on that gun I pm'd you about.

Nathan

Well, unfortunately it did not, after spending more than 4 hours on the road and dumping more than 50 bucks worth of fuel into the tank (I still do appreciate the effort on your part though). But after the discussion that I had with briggsy, the let-down was far less then it could have been. It was a 300 RUM, with a stainless varmint contour barrel, in absolutely PRISTINE condition, for 4 1/2 bills. What shot the deal down, was that it was one of the early regular shank models. It made me want to cry. The experience almost makes me believe that they made even FEWER of the large shank RUMs. After all of the wasted time, effort, money, frustration, etc, the time has come to face reality, and make the dreaded call: Mission failed! New mission: Get a Remington! And then spend another 2 bills on the rem-compatible version of the stock that I want to use. I'll get a 30" barrel at some later time.

Hey Max tell me about that stock you had already gotten. Might be somebody could help you recoup some costs. :)

I was just thinking the same thing, I'll bet you can get at least most of your $$ back. I happen to know somebody that has a pretty good pile of 7mm RUM brass that might do some trading on a Savage stock too :)

Bob

UPDATE: Finally bit the "bullet", and got a new stainless SPS 700 in 7RUM. I'll go big-barreled when accuracy of the factory barrel goes out the window.

Thank God!

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

That WAS a perfect example of being completely blind, to the "writing on the wall". It's nice to finally be back to my senses. I be chillin now, so you CAN let out that sigh of relief!

Anyways, the stock is a Choate "Utimate Varmint" for savage long action (#24-06-02). I HAVE fired about 10 rounds out of my savage 7mag using it, and I cannot overstate how much I like it. It IS a (very stiff) heavyweight (rifle weighs just under 13lbs with stock, sling, bipod, scope, & factory 26" sporter barrel), and that's exactly what I like. But given how wide the cut-out for the barrel is, it doesn't exactly look right with a narrow contour barrel sitting in it. Anyways, it's in perfect condition, with everything that came with it, including the box. I've seen them going for "new" prices on ebay, when you figure in the shipping. So I wouldn't expect to see much of a loss, in going THAT route. But if someone has one for rem 700 long action (#24-01-12), that would like to trade (even-up) for the one I have, let me know.

Just purchased another stock.

Since the 84300 will be arriving in a few days, I went ahead and ordered the choate #24-01-12 (fits R700LA) stock. It wasn't looking like the trade offer was going anywhere, anyways. At least not within the time frame that I needed to work within. I AM tempted to just keep the other one on the sav 7mag, because it is soooo much better than the factory stock. Although I do have somebody that is really hounding me to sell him the sav, he isn't willing to pay the additional 150 that I would expect out of it with the ultimate varmint stock included. At this point, I'm resisting the idea of selling it, but if he does eventually "break" me, the stock WILL be going up on ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.