Where can a chamber be pressure tested?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jmason, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Where can True (PSI) pressure testing be done without destroying a rifle?

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

3. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Was looking more along the lines of sending out a (future) finished project rifle.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

5. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I do not know if it is what you consider "actual" pressure testing. But, how about using RSI Pressure Trace? I do not know if there is any way to do actual pressure testing that is non-destructive, other than using strain gauges. I have the system but have yet to used it.
    RSI - PressureTrace

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

What eddybo said.

"Super glue" the stain gage to the chamber. Get very accurate chamber measurements then go to shooting.

I figure there are plenty of variables with this or any other method thus I worked up the load for that rifle and called it standard for pressure.

I then compared everything else to that pressure curve. I got really anal about it but discovered that pressure curve maximum values and the time of the "peak" pressure with respect to bullet travel varied enough for me to give up on the idea as being too techie.

Pressure curves showed more variation than I would have expected even when ES was less than 10.

Having said that, the evidence of secondary pressure spikes with the 338 RUM still has me confused. The fella @ RSI said they were'nt unusual??????

I"m going to fire the thing up again when I make another attempt at forward ignition. Forward ignition has been the only thing I've messed around with that lowered recoil, decreased ES and consistently improved accuracy with out having to try different powders to achieve the same results.

However, I did launch some brass tubes down range which really confused the chrono.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

So you have one of these gadgets roy?

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Yep.....

9. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Google "HP White Labs".

10. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

may be dead wrong, but dosn't the old Ohler 43 chronograph calculate chamber pressure, or something like that. I have a buddy that's got one, and I'll shoot him an email
    gary