Where are the 220 Swift gone?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by almorgan, Nov 11, 2010.

1. almorgan

almorgan Member

Checking all major rifle producer catalogues I have seen, nobody produce a varmint rifle in that old chambering I love so much.
    In the past I had a Ruger MKII Varmint in 220 Swift I sold to buy a Rem Varmint in the same caliber, but as soon as I went to the gun shop, no more Swift have been available.
    It is now at least a couple of year I try to find it again. No Rugers, no Remingtons, no Savages.
    Why?

2. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I hope they don't quit making the brass because my best 22 cal is the 220 weatherby rocket which is all you can get out of a 220 swift case. Roys first wildcat and amazing. 52 grain nosler match bullets at 4100 fps. Ravens hate me when I use it because prarie dogs vaporize on impact and not many scraps. Costs me a few dogs to since there is no body to attract more of the little cannibals out to feast.

3. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Very simple---They do not sell.

4. jayph

jayph Member

Um

Remington 700 Varmint SF and VSSF II are both chambered in .220 swift at least online and in my book. I didn't bother checking the other brands.

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

I've never understood why a fast twist 220swift wasn't more popular.

6. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

I have an old Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. It's ok but no special properties. What would a fast twist barreled 220 Swift offer? It could shoot heavier but slower bullets allowing a little longer supersonic range, but you can easily get longer range with less barrel wear with larger bores and VLD bullets. 6.5 or 7mm in several good cartridges).

7. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

.22 was old news 30 years ago. 6mm will give it a huge spanking at distance. If not for the .223 -- the caliber would be pretty much dead.

Things change as products are developed.

8. almorgan

almorgan Member

Thank you. I missed it. And now I will check if someone in Europe have it ready. Otherwise I forecast a long waiting.

I can agree on much part of the critics, but I'm still a fan of this caliber. I think that it is a fashinating toy to play with even if the precision is not that of a 6 PPC and the range doesn't match with that of a 6.5-284 or 7mm WSM with an heavy VLD bullet.

9. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Well-Known Member

I've also been a fan of the .220 Swift for years. I had an old Rem 700 in .22-250 (bought it new when I was a kid) with a bad barrel and had it re-barreled in .22-250AI about a year ago. In my opinion, this chambering is just as interesting as the Swift and I've had a blast working up loads for it. I realize the resale value probably isn't as high as the .22-250 but I don't plan on selling it and will someday teach my grandson how to shoot it and load for it. This could be an option for you or find a good action and have it re-barreled in a Swift.

10. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

I have a 220 Swift, a 220 Weatherby Rocket, a 22-250AI, and a 22-243 Middlested, and to tell the truth, they're pretty much the same when it comes to shooting pds.

The 243AI is notably more spectacular, but it really requires a muzzle brake to observe the action. :)