When hunting, what do you use for a front rest?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use an attached bipod, tripod, shooting sticks, coat balled up, backpack, etc?

I want to start a POLL but first need some categories to select from.

So -- what do you most often use when hunting.

Most often? Harris bipods. Really all of the above, plus a walking stick monopod. I think this year I'll be using the tripod double duty with the spotting scope.

Where I live and hunt is some of the steepest terrain in Idaho. Bipods and such just don't work well. I've tried different things and nothing ever satisfied me and is a pain to carry. Out to 300 yards I shoot off my knees with great success over the years. Beyond 300 it's over the back or fanny pack in a rock pile or whatever I can find. Have taken a few bucks using the backpack on the back of the quad. Yep I'm a opportunist and the last one like that was a 29 inch 4 pointer @ 460 yards.

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with a homemade front rest attachment. I already have the tripod with me for my spotting scope, just pop the scope off and the rest on. With the tripod it is easy to get over brush and grass. I can shoot from either a sitting or standing position. On shots over 500 yards i often use a set of Stony Point sticks under the butt for support on both ends of the rifle. With that set up I am comfortable out to 1000 in most terrain.

Bipods are great, and very stable but I had some shot opportunities a few years ago that I had to let go by when using a bipod or backpack. Either too much grass/brush or the terrain was too steep for a workable setup. Since i started using my tripod that has not been a problem. I also often carry a lightweight three leg folding stool. I can sit down behind the tripod/shooting stick support. I have taken many critters with this setup including antelope at over 900 yards and elk at 600+.

I prefer my Atlas on a QD plate. Spring bear I have outdoorsmans for scope, and I have a saddle I made on QD PLATE, can put on rear of stock or front. Tough mountain I use a light weight snipepod, sitting model has helped me shoot quick in deep snow. Antelope I have a converted by me heavy tripod with majestic geardrive head,swivle tilt, and I have a saddle for rifle and bullet holder built in.

Harris bi pod, & or pack for prone, L/R work.
Tree, rock(s),fence posts, knees to 400 ish yards, unless I can go prone. (to quote a previous post, I'm an "opportunist")
Off hand, or knees for 250 & less, unless I have time to go prone, or take advantage of a natural rest (tree etc).

A lot of it depends on the terrain, & distance. At longer range the critters rarely know your there, so you can take your time for arranging the perfect set up. For me that's leveled bipods for a front rest, a pack for a backrest, & comfortable shooting position, with a natural point of aim.
I try to use a rest whenever possible, but at closer range, or in thick country, you gotta be able to shoot off hand or you eat your tag. I hunt it all, so its rarely the same rest, or position.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.