When Do You Give Up On A Rifle

If the chamber or barrel is bad you will never get it to shoot good.

It sounds like you have a bad chamber or head space.

I would recommend putting a new barrel (Premium) on it and have a new chamber cut for it.

You should be able to get the action trued, new barrel and chamber done , and stay under your budget.

J E CUSTOM

+1 for this approach. I'd trash the current barrel. I have a 7 RM that performs well enough that I will never part with it. You already have good dies and changing calibers impacts your budget. You should be able to get the best barrel, installed, the action trued and a good quality stock for close to your budget. If the build costs more, it probably wouldn't be more than your Redding dies for a new caliber. as far a current factory rifles, Savage is gaining quite a reputation for accuracy. Be aware that you are taking your chances with any production rifle. That is why the rebuild is a better option. Just find a reputable smith.

Here's a suggestion that hasn't been mentioned. Probably for good reason.:)

I thrive on these kinds of challenges and a long winter is coming up.

How about sending the rifle to me to attempt to sort out. That is, get to the real reason she's a bummer.

Only cost to you would be shipping and FFL fee at my end.

No guarantees except that it won't be blemished or otherwise made worse.

I provide all reloading components and equipment.

there will be no machining, honing, metal work without your permission and then done only by recognized quality smith if approved.

Any bedding, rebedding, pillars, skim would be done by me, if it is determined necessary.

It would make a fun project to document here.

Just tho't I throw this out.

I would jump on that!

Thank you everyone for the kind words and help. I have been working on several other projects and just now getting back to this one.
I called GA Precession and I am going to have them cut the barrel back & rechamber. They are relatively close and have met them before at the NRA show in Stl. They seem to have a very good reputation. This sure has been a head scratcher. Since I have the $$ in the redding dies & brass, I guess I will keep the same caliber. Thanks again!

I have been reloading for a 7 rem mag for several years. Bought it used. Had it glass bedded & trigger adjusted. Redding Type s full length bushing dies. Tried 8 different bullet/ powder combo. Just shoots MOA w/ Leupy 3-10 CDS. It has a slight burr on case shoulder in chamber. Sent to smith but still there. Just not as bad.
My problem is reloading. Last year experienced case head separation after 2 reloadings that feed stiff. Ordered new brass.
Shot ok with virgin loading. However, I am having difficulty sizing for smooth feeding. I can set the shoulder back with no improvement. I sent 5 fired cases to redding that they sized and results were the same (3 cases).
I covered sized brass from redding and my sized brass with a black marker to show contact points with nothing conclusive.
Any ideas on what to try next as far as reloading? If I would sell & buy a new rifle what would you recommend for Mule deer in Colorado? I am thinking about a 6.5 or another .284 with NO BELT!
Then which rifle for around a grand? Thanks in advance LRH members!

if it were me, I'd be looking at the 6.5-06, .270 Winchester, and the .280 Remington. Even a 25-06 or the .257 AI would do well on mule deer. Plus all these rounds are easy to load.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.