Whats up at Greybull Precision?

champberetta

Saw on another forum a while back that greybull was having some ownership troubles and John Burns posted he was going to court to get back sole ownership of Greybull and Don Ward was no longer associated with the company in any way. I ordered another scope from them for a friend who liked mine back in Febuary and never heard a thing about it so i called their number and someone answered and i told him my deal and he assured me i would get the scope soon, i told him i ordered it from Don and he said yup i'm Don. So is John Burns not associated with the company anymore or what? Anybody know whats going on there?

Last I heard was that John burns was no longer associated with greybull.
Would like to try one of their stocks but am pretty gun shy right now.

Yeah he was the guy building the guns and the brains of the deal, if hes gone it kinda makes ya wonder. I'm sure he will open up another company if he is gone from Greybull, i hope anyways.

I ordered a stock a few weeks ago from them. On the phone they said a run from Bell and Carlson should be done sometime in August. So I'm pretty much just counting down the days right now.

Last edited:
Just talked to Don Ward at Greybull Precision. Sounds like the ownership issues were just settled last week and of the 5 original owners, John Burns is not an owner of GreyBull Precision anymore.

I asked Don what he thought John would do now and he said he thought John would (more or less) form his own company and keep doing the same kind of thing...be a competitor, in other words. At any rate, they had the stock I wanted in stock, so I ordered one.

This'll be for a combo long range/in the trees elk gun in 300RUM pushing the 230 Berger OTM. I think this stock is the best combination of good shape for prone, but handles well otherwise, that I've seen.

I've been thinking about that off and on for a while. I wonder what the real skinny is? John was with BOTW, just as they seemed to be getting really popular he split. Then comes Greybull Precision, they start to get a good reputation & he's gone again... I'm not saying there's something wrong with John per say, just my curiosity I guess.

t

I wasn't sure about the stock originally, but after handling it I am really impressed. Good handling for off hand shots and good balance off of bags.

I've been thinking about that off and on for a while. I wonder what the real skinny is?

+1

I've wondered the same thing. I think it is a conflict of oversized personalities of several players.

BOTW has had a number of people come and go over the last few years. Good or not so good is a matter of one's opinion but that isn't the point at the moment. I've dealt with a few on the phone and all goes well until you stray from their line of thinking. For example, a couple of years ago when I ordered their turret for my scope, no problem, but when I asked if they could also cut a MOA turret, the conversation got less cordial by a notch or two and ended with them hanging up. I didn't expect the NY attitude from the folks out there. I know this was the exception and not the rule.

I've exchanged email with Don at Greybull and all went well. I got an acceptable reply to my request almost immediately. However, execution of that request took some time because of the problems but that too resolved quite acceptably to me considering the delay.

That's my take on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.