what's to loose?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cmfi3, Mar 23, 2008.

1. cmfi3

cmfi3 Well-Known Member

Hello, went out today to check pressure and velocity on some loads in a new 30/378 wby im begining to load for. Anyhow, I had a hot load or two that resulted in loose primer pockets. What is considered to loose to reprime, and will this effect accuracy. I wouldn't hunt with these couple of pieces of brass but, I hate to toss it due to the high price of wby brass. There was very little to no resistance with my hand primer tool on a couple pieces, but the primers aren't falling out.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I would say toss the brass with the loose pocket . if the primers seat to easy you will get hot gases leaking around them and it can burn the face of your bolt . this can also happen with brass that has been loaded a few times . you will see a black smoke ring around the primers . Jim

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I keep using them until I don't need a primer seater to seat them.

These cases are used for load development and some experimental things:rolleyes: I do but not for anything else.

Then my thumb will do seat the primer I toss 'em.

4. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

I"d toss em too. Just out of curiousity (cause I shoot one) care to share the load info on the hot loads?? It's too bad someone doesn't make better brass for the 30-378 so it could stay a step ahead of the rum.

5. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

There's a tool made for peening primer pockets, although I can't recall who makes it. For what your brass costs, something like that may be worthwhile. You may be able to improvise.