what's to loose?

cmfi3

Hello, went out today to check pressure and velocity on some loads in a new 30/378 wby im begining to load for. Anyhow, I had a hot load or two that resulted in loose primer pockets. What is considered to loose to reprime, and will this effect accuracy. I wouldn't hunt with these couple of pieces of brass but, I hate to toss it due to the high price of wby brass. There was very little to no resistance with my hand primer tool on a couple pieces, but the primers aren't falling out.

Last edited:
I would say toss the brass with the loose pocket . if the primers seat to easy you will get hot gases leaking around them and it can burn the face of your bolt . this can also happen with brass that has been loaded a few times . you will see a black smoke ring around the primers . Jim

I keep using them until I don't need a primer seater to seat them.

These cases are used for load development and some experimental things:rolleyes: I do but not for anything else.

Then my thumb will do seat the primer I toss 'em.

I"d toss em too. Just out of curiousity (cause I shoot one) care to share the load info on the hot loads?? It's too bad someone doesn't make better brass for the 30-378 so it could stay a step ahead of the rum.

There's a tool made for peening primer pockets, although I can't recall who makes it. For what your brass costs, something like that may be worthwhile. You may be able to improvise.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts