Whats the likely range for you to hit a target about 2-3 inches in one shot?

3 inches exactly I am not sure but I am very sure I can hit a prairie dog in the chest to 500. I do it every weekend with my 308 custom m-14. I have gotten them to 700 on the first shot but I count that as luck mostly. We made some gongs out of old brake drums and got them sitting on the ground propped on sticks and I can hit most of them out to 900 first shot. They are 10 and 12 inch though. It all depends if I read the ever present wind right.

This is a tough one. Since I've operated without a rangefinder for my entire distance shooting career, I tend to associate ranges directly with hold-over or number of clicks. As in: Well, that chuck looks like about a two-inch holdover...However after pacing off my kills and converting the number of paces to feet/yards, I'm guessing that my max 100% hit range on a 3" target would be about 125 yards. This is as in, a just dropped prone and set up the bi-pod, have to make the shot before he goes down his hole situation...

Kinda embarassing, but I'm working on it!
smile.gif

Elwood,

Now that you've hired on at DnR .. I'll take care of all that guess work for ya!!
wink.gif

Quinn...watch out for that Ric character. By the time he's done with you, rifles from Wally world just won't get it anymore....you'll be ruined forever. You'll be waiting in line for Chris to build a rifle for you too. It's a sickness. Once you're in it's grip...there's no escape.

I'd hate to see that happen to a nice kid like you. Just look at what it's done to Ric.

Lee, he ruined me for life waaaaaay back in the summer of 2002. I tagged a p-dog off a pair of shooting sticks at just over 250 yards when my family stopped by over vacation, and I knew the hook was set. Giving crows a dirt shower this past summer just pushed it in deeper!

And now that I have a non-rain-dependant job, maybe there'll be a little money left over that I can immediately hand to Chris...

I got to fondle the .308 and the .300 WSM at the show...I have never seen scopes like that in my life...

Yeah, I'm done in for good.

Did you get my e-mail, Ric?

I saw dave in idaho shoot a bowling pin at 200 yards once.

I asked him if he could hit it on the first shot just resting the rifle on his gear bag over the hood of my truck. It was a Brunswick pin and I thought dave was joking when he asked if I wanted him to shoot the upper or lower loop of the "B".
I said lower because it was a 1/4" bigger than the upper.

He delivered.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts