Whats the biggest that will fit???

remingtonman_25_06

I am curious as to what kinda cases I am limited to in my rem 700 270. I know its a long action, but am I limited to the 06 family cases, or can I go to a 7 mag or 300 mag, or any of the Dakota cases. I realize in order for the mag cases, the bolt face would have to be opened and maybe the feed rails modified? If it could be done though, I would like to build a standard 300 win mag off it.

Having a 270AM built on a REM 721 which was an 06. It will be a single shot so I don't much care how long the overall length of the loaded round will be plus didn't have to mess with the rails.

You can chamber anything up to an improved RUM round in the receiver you have with a couple upgrades in parts like mag box and slightly opening feed rails and of course bolt face work.

These would be for repeaters. I have build severel Lapua and big wby class rifles on the Rem 700 chrome moly receivers as single shots or in the case of the Lapua round(7mm Allen Mag) as repeaters using the HS Precision DM system with great results.

Dimensionally your receiver is the same as a RUM receiver with just some bolt and feed rail mods needed for the longer, fatter round.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Fifty,
I presume by your previous thread that it is safe to open up the Rem 700 bolt face to take the .590" head dia. Lapua case.
It looks mighty thin even in standard magnum configuration.

Ian.

This debate has been going on since the 338 Lapua came out.

I am referring to my 7mm Allen Magnum and 277 Allen Magnum wildcats which I will chamber in Rem 700 receivers.

I do have some stipulations though, Must be chrome moly receiver as this steel is harder then stainless steel and resists bolt lug set back better.

Also, I Designed my two wildcats based on the Lapua case with very min taper in the case. As such, the loader will experience sticky extraction long before the lapua case gets anywhere near its pressure limits which I would admit would be to much for a Rem 700, or really any factory receiver for that matter.

The Lapua case will easily handle upwards of 70K psi which would not be good for any factory receiver, Wby MkV it Sako which are factory chamberings.

If your popping primer pockets with a Lapua your far in excess of where you should be in pressure no matter what receiver your using.

Back to my Allen Magnums, They perform extremely well in the Rem 700 because their case design limits the pressure they can be loaded to unless you want to start pounding on your bolt to get the case out.

They are designed to drive 200 gr class bullets to 3200-3300 fps and they will easily do this in the Rem 700 safely.

All that said, this is only with a properly accurized Rem 700 that is as near perfectly true as we can get them.

If you have one lug floating, I would say it would be a very bad idea!!!

There is more steel then you think in the Rem bolt head. The BAT receivers bolt nose is hardly any different in thickness then the Rem 700. That is really not a critical area, its the bolt lugs, diameter and shear area that are the strength factors as well as the amount of steel behind the lugs in the receiver.

The Rem 700 bolt nose is generally 0.700" diameter and after accurizing will be in the 0.690" to 0.695" range in diameter. Thats 50 thou thickness of steel around the case head so its is plenty for the job it has to do.

Again, if you want to hot rod a 338 Lapua case order a custom receiver.

That said, concerning the big Wby cases. In my experience, these cases will loose their primer pockets at pressures much over 65,000 psi.

It all comes down to realistic, practical loading and thats about it. THe rifles will handle these rounds loaded to their standard top pressures. Over load them and your pushing the margin of error in any factory receiver.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts