what's the best powder for 22-250

What gary is trying to tell you is that higher bc bullets with a longer tip and boat tail sometimes have problems stabiling in a 14 twist, sometimes the 55grn NBT won't fully stabilize and I have yet to see anyone post any good results with the 53grn vmax with a .29bc, I have to push them over 3800fps to get the results I like. This post was aimed at 36 and 40grn bullets anyway, that's why some of us say to use a faster powder than 4064, there is no negative affect of using a hotter powder, you use less and it doesn't burn as long as a heavy dose of 4064, so barrel life remains the same as well.

What gary is trying to tell you is that higher bc bullets with a longer tip and boat tail sometimes have problems stabiling in a 14 twist, sometimes the 55grn NBT won't fully stabilize and I have yet to see anyone post any good results with the 53grn vmax with a .29bc, I have to push them over 3800fps to get the results I like. This post was aimed at 36 and 40grn bullets anyway, that's why some of us say to use a faster powder than 4064, there is no negative affect of using a hotter powder, you use less and it doesn't burn as long as a heavy dose of 4064, so barrel life remains the same as well.

that helps alot
thanks

i had a 22-250 in a remington 788 action with a 27 inch walther lother barrel...36 grains of varget w/ 55 grain nosler b-tips wlr primers...3710 fps.... .117 5 shot groups at 100 yrds.. .448 groups at 200 yrds........ i tried h380 and groups were just a tad bit bigger so i stayed with the varget

Well i,m going to give my mho and tell everyone they may to give the new hodgdon CFE 223 powder a try.Just finished few loads using hodgdon loading center info.This is the powder thathornady has been using for the 204 all along.This fowls less and gives about 100 fps more than other powders.The groups were on the order of what the 22/250 I was shooting (1/2 to 5/8).Just wanted to share.

I have owned many .22-250's. Right now, I have a 700 Varmnit that is real contrary. I have tried all those powders mentiond above, nothing shot well. I have pretty much settled on AA2700, a medium burn single base powder, under a 53 gr. Sierra BT match bullet with CCI 200 primer. Groups hover right around .5" at 100 yds.

I just started using AA2700 in my .25-06 and 75 and 85 gr. bullets. Jury is still out on that one.

I bought a pound of 2700, but have not had the time to try it. 3031 has always worked best for me so far, but oddly 2015BR wouldn't shoot very well (these are very close to each other)
gary

trickymisfit...........I thought the higher BC was the better bullet to work with ?

it all evolves around the twist rate of the barrel. The higher the B/C number, the faster the twist will be needed. In a 12 twist barrel I can shoot well up to .28 (maybe .30). But in a 14 twist you gotts go with a lower number like a .24. Just takes more spin to stabalize the higher numbers
gary

i had a 22-250 in a remington 788 action with a 27 inch walther lother barrel...36 grains of varget w/ 55 grain nosler b-tips wlr primers...3710 fps.... .117 5 shot groups at 100 yrds.. .448 groups at 200 yrds........ i tried h380 and groups were just a tad bit bigger so i stayed with the varget

have had, and still own two Savages in 22-250. Two of them shot into the low twos and every once in awhile with go under the magic .20" number. I used the Sierra #1365 bullet each time I got into the very low twos with 3031 powder at a max load. I don't think the #1365 bullet will work in a 14 twist barrel as it's near perfect for a 12 twist. But something like a 50 grain Vmax would be near perfect. The 40 grain Hornaday is right at a .2 B/C, and should do well (gonna be a lot of bullet jump). With the 40 grain bullet, I think I'd be looking at N135 or N140 and 2495 (slightly faster than 2700). You also might want to try the newer lot of 2230 (there are three basic lots of this one).

Myself, I like 50 and 55 grain bullets in the 22-250, and like to seat them about .002" off the lands. In my .223 Remington with a 14 twist barrel, I can use the Hornaday Vmax and the Nosler BT, but cannot make the 52 and 53 grain bullets from anybody shoot well. (my 22-250's won't shoot them either). Most shooting with the 14 twist barrel has been with 55 grain bullets, but will be dropping down to 50 grain bullets this year thinking the slower twist will work better will the slightly lower B/C of the 50 grain bullet.
gary

Well i,m going to give my mho and tell everyone they may to give the new hodgdon CFE 223 powder a try.Just finished few loads using hodgdon loading center info.This is the powder thathornady has been using for the 204 all along.This fowls less and gives about 100 fps more than other powders.The groups were on the order of what the 22/250 I was shooting (1/2 to 5/8).Just wanted to share.

I saw that powder listed forthe first time the other day. Whatkind of a burn rate is it? Also is a ball powder or a stick, and if it's a stick then what size granuals are they?
gary

I have a Winchester Model 70 coyote light with a 24 inch barrel. I use 35.5 grains of 8208xbr pushing a 55 grain sierra blitzking. According to my chronograph the 10 shot average is 3716. My best 3 shot group is .279 at 100 yards. Hope this helps you out. I am looking forward to trying some CFE 223, if anybody in my area ever decides to carry it.

Gary I haven't got to try the CFE223 either i'd like to but none of the locals carry it yet, I was reading some where though and I think it said that the CFE223 was a double based extruded powder very similar to VV N540 or about like Imr4895 on crack!

I have a Winchester Model 70 coyote light with a 24 inch barrel. I use 35.5 grains of 8208xbr pushing a 55 grain sierra blitzking. According to my chronograph the 10 shot average is 3716. My best 3 shot group is .279 at 100 yards. Hope this helps you out. I am looking forward to trying some CFE 223, if anybody in my area ever decides to carry it.

That load with the 8208 is the same that I use, exept I am using a 55 Berger varmint match bullet. Very fast, extremely accurate. Love that stuff. Low ES, and SD.

7STW

P/S, my barrel is 26 inches.

That load with the 8208 is the same that I use, exept I am using a 55 Berger varmint match bullet. Very fast, extremely accurate. Love that stuff. Low ES, and SD.

7STW

P/S, my barrel is 26 inches.

I really like 8208xbr. Not Tempature sensitive, which is important to me in Colorado. In the summer temps can hit 100 and the winter can be -10.