Whats the best map chip for garmin?

got the maps for MT and ID they look great! only difference I can see from the paid versions is the landowners names.
cant beat the price, still looking for WY maps also

Young Gun,

Be very careful using those 'can't beat the price' maps you found. The public land data they use has a lot of errors and not very accurate boundary data. Hunting GPS Maps is the only company that is cross-referencing public land data with the dept of revenue tax data to reduce these land-swap and 'old data' errors. It takes a lot of work to make an accurate statewide land ownership map. I wouldn't bet my day in the field on a 'cheap' map. The $99 is worth it!

Young Gun,

Be very careful using those 'can't beat the price' maps you found. The public land data they use has a lot of errors and not very accurate boundary data. Hunting GPS Maps is the only company that is cross-referencing public land data with the dept of revenue tax data to reduce these land-swap and 'old data' errors. It takes a lot of work to make an accurate statewide land ownership map. I wouldn't bet my day in the field on a 'cheap' map. The $99 is worth it!

Seriously? So far mine have been spot on and I've been using PLSS data for years. Where does the dept of rev get their data? Do they do their own independent GIS work? Just curious, thought it pretty much came from the same source.

Most counties do their own GIS work to keep tax records. When tax dollars are on the line the GIS data gets a lot more accurate :) and is kept up to date. When a state or federal agency does a federal land data set they tend to make errors because land changes hands so much and they only have PLSS data to work with, which is great until you have land parcels that don't follow a quarter-quarter section line. Many of those state and federal data sets were created 5 to 10 years ago.

Trust me. We've fixed many, many errors by taking the time to get the information from the right people. That's why game an fish agencies endorse our product. They don't like wasting their time writing trespassing tickets. They want to catch poachers. They have seen the other map's errors and they steer folks towards our product to reduce the chance for error / tickets.

I know the Wyoming Wardens are using your product because I know one out there and he says it has made his job much easier settling trespass issues!

GPS maps guy why haven't they done South Dakota private land owners name on maps yet? How long will it take before sd would have owners on maps, I will pay what ever to have it, it is such a huge advantage knowing who owns what

South Dakota is ranked 50th in the US for parcel GIS data availability (in our opinion from our research). Unfortunately, the data just isn't available and may not be for a few more years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If we can get a couple 100 people on board that are willing to pay $1000 to $2000 for the map then we could probably make something happen. Is that in the ball park of what you'd be willing to pay?

Yeah I take that back I didn't realize that much and that many people well its sucks but if I have to wait I suppose that's the way it is.

Just a simple question and that is why it's so important for you to have the names of the land owners? Is it so you can ask them to hunt their property as that's the only reason I can think of? If that's the case, you can always go to the Register of Deeds at the County Seat and get all that information. I did that for the county I hunt in Wyoming a number of years ago before these GPS chips were available. For a few bucks the lady put together copies of maps showing who owned what on the entire east side of the county. That's why I bought the chip last year that only shows property boundaries and not the owners.

Basically is some ranches I hunt I want to know when I'm on their propery I'm not crossing on someone else's place, and yeah so I know who owns it so I can ask permission if need be.

Basically is some ranches I hunt I want to know when I'm on their propery I'm not crossing on someone else's place, and yeah so I know who owns it so I can ask permission if need be.

Which counties do you need? Some of the SD counties have parcel shapefiles I can download. If it's the right counties, I'll try to put together a GPS map for you next week.

Just a simple question and that is why it's so important for you to have the names of the land owners? Is it so you can ask them to hunt their property as that's the only reason I can think of? If that's the case, you can always go to the Register of Deeds at the County Seat and get all that information. I did that for the county I hunt in Wyoming a number of years ago before these GPS chips were available. For a few bucks the lady put together copies of maps showing who owned what on the entire east side of the county. That's why I bought the chip last year that only shows property boundaries and not the owners.

Speaking as a Realtor and Appraiser since 1974 who has been using public records and land ownership records since way back before there were any public records available online or via GPS or other mobile device, I can tell you that ANY mobile device that brings you ownership, contact info, or property boundary info in a GIS overlay type data in the field, is INVALUABLE to the professional or traveling hunter in the field.

If you ever intend to travel to any areas that you don't have the time or resources to research thoroughly in advance, then simply carrying a GPS device with all that data preloaded in it and that fits in your shirt pocket and enjoy the hunt rather than struggling with bulky maps and other not so portable data.

In this constantly evolving world of digital data I find a lot of freedom in pocket devices such as my iPhone and advanced GPS devices that give me mountains of data at my fingertips at any time day or night to be incredibly useful.

Some of us prefer the stone club and cave type experience and that's OK too... YMMV. :D

Bob

Speaking as a Realtor and Appraiser since 1974 who has been using public records and land ownership records since way back before there were any public records available online or via GPS or other mobile device, I can tell you that ANY mobile device that brings you ownership, contact info, or property boundary info in a GIS overlay type data in the field, is INVALUABLE to the professional or traveling hunter in the field.

If you ever intend to travel to any areas that you don't have the time or resources to research thoroughly in advance, then simply carrying a GPS device with all that data preloaded in it and that fits in your shirt pocket and enjoy the hunt rather than struggling with bulky maps and other not so portable data.

In this constantly evolving world of digital data I find a lot of freedom in pocket devices such as my iPhone and advanced GPS devices that give me mountains of data at my fingertips at any time day or night to be incredibly useful.

Some of us prefer the stone club and cave type experience and that's OK too... YMMV. :D

Bob

No argument that the GPS with chip are invaluable to keep you from trespassing on private property. However, even if you buy the chip with the landowner names, you still need to do a followup like I mentioned to get their contact information, so it will take some time. The good thing is that you may be able to do it over the phone or by mail before you get out to wherever you're going to hunt so you have it all set when you get there and don't waste time during the trip.

I used the huntinggpsmaps.com for Wyoming in 2012 and my father and I took two antelope from a 1 sq mile piece of state trust land that other hunters drove right through not knowing it was hunt able. This year I am going to Idaho and I will be hunting forest land where the need to know BLM and state trust from private land will not be an issue. I am leaning towards the huntinggpsmaps.com map again, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin 24K topo maps? The benefit of the Garmin map is that it covers three states.

I used the huntinggpsmaps.com for Wyoming in 2012 and my father and I took two antelope from a 1 sq mile piece of state trust land that other hunters drove right through not knowing it was hunt able. This year I am going to Idaho and I will be hunting forest land where the need to know BLM and state trust from private land will not be an issue. I am leaning towards the huntinggpsmaps.com map again, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin 24K topo maps? The benefit of the Garmin map is that it covers three states.

***The 24K are okay for what you're talking about, but I really like the chips if you are hunting an area where there is any amount of private land mixed in. I have one for Wyoming and my Wyoming buddy has one for almost all of the other western states.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.